PSYC 2310 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Individualism, Normal Distribution

13 views1 pages

Document Summary

All rationality is bounded by our nationality. Culture comprises (1) the human-made part of the environment and 2) the social institutions of the society such as norms, rules and laws (herskovits 1955) Culture shapes our experiences: (cid:862)i(cid:374) so(cid:373)e (cid:272)ultures, i would (cid:271)e (cid:272)o(cid:374)sidered (cid:374)or(cid:373)al(cid:863, what is normal or abnormal is culture-specific. There are cultural differences in practicing behaviours and interpreting experiences: e. g. religion, food, marriage, etc. Humans are more similar to one another then different (brown 1991) Independent self (e. g. i like dogs, i play guitar, etc)- canadian students. Interdependent self (e. g. i live with my parents, i am japanese)- japanese students. Self is autonomous vs. self is connected with others. Self, behaves primarily, as a consequence of internal attributes vs. behaviours of interdependent self is contingent on what the actor perceives to be the thoughts, feelings and actions of others. The independent self gives rise to self-actualization vs. the interdependent self gives rise to fulfilling and creating obligation.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers