Psychology
Course
PSYC 2310
Professor
Saba Safdar
Semester
Winter

Description
January 24, 2012 – PSYCH 2310 – S. Safdar Attitudes and Attribution Across Cultures MAKING ATTRIUBTIONS IN INTERCULTURAL INTERACTIONS - culture becomes an important factor when we answer why things happen in our life - types of explanations: o ability  I got 92% because I’m smart. IF YOU SUCCEED, YOU SAY IT WAS INTERNAL. o task difficulty  I got 57% because the exam was difficult. IF YOU DON’T SUCCEED, YOU SAY IT WAS EXTERNAL FACTORS. o Effort  I did well because I studied and came to all lectures. o Luck  I got 57% because I was unlucky – too many questions from the section I did not read. - Cultures tend to use different explanations for success and failure. MAKING ATTRIBUTIONS IN INTERCULTURAL INTERACTIONS - isomorphic attribution (Triandis, 1977) o eg. Samurai says “I want to sleep with you” – you take it as a sexual advancement – actually means “I trust you enough to sleep in the same room as you without you cutting my throat.” CULTURAL STYLE OF ATTRIBUTION - in individualistic cultures people tend to focus on the individual as determining the cause of behaviour o people attribute success to ability and failure to external factors - in collectivistic cultures people to give greater emphasis on external causes of individual behaviour. o People attribute success to help from others and failure to the lack of effort FUNDAMENTAL ATTRIBUTION ERROR - is it possible that the fundamental attribution error is a uniquely western phenomenon? - Miller (1984) o Participants: American and Asian Indians of varying ages o They had to describe the cause of actions they had observed in their lives. JOAN MILLER’S STUDY (1984) - age 8, we find no difference between American and Indian - but as people get older and enculturated, the style of attribution came to vary – amongst American, we find more internal attribution – it increases – the events that happen to them are based on internal factors January 24, 2012 – PSYCH 2310 – S. Safdar - in terms of external attribution, they take into account situational factor significantly more then Americans – as they get older, Indians = external factors - no fundamental attribution error, is not fundamental to human being – it is fundamental in the west (?) MASUDA AND NISBETT’S STUDY (2001) - results: o both American and Japanese college students recalled details about the focal fish a nearly equal extent o Japanese students, however, reported significantly more detailed about the supporting cast in the background. o They have a fuller picture, more holistic view of the context. BIOCULTURAL IDENTITY - how bicultural individuals make attributions for human behaviour? - Chinese think like Americans when they see American images (internal attributions are seen), but when shown Chinese images, they make more situation attributions HONG ET AL. STUDY (2000) - Results: o Those with bicultural identity made more situational attribution when Chinese images were presented and less situational attribution when American images were given. - Conclusion: o Social perceptions are fluid and depend on which culture is brought to mind. It’s like speaking two languages. You automatically switch personalities and put yourself into that culture. SELF-SERVING ATTRIBUTIONS - self-serving attributions o tendency of explaining one’s success to internal disposition factors and one’s failure to external situational factors o we do that to protect our self-esteem and feel good about ourselves – it’s a coping mechanism which works here in the West o profession
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 2310

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit