Psychology
Course
PSYC 2310
Professor
Saba Safdar
Semester
Winter

Description
Thursday, January 12, 2017 PSYC* 2310 - Social Self The Nature of Self - everyone is part of a larger social structure - no person is a lone island, everyone is connected - Who are you? • self-concept or self knowledge (the known or the me) (the knowledge you know about yourself) • Self-awareness (the knower or the I) (the awareness of yourself) - the concept of “me” shifts as we get older • when young, people describe themselves using physical characteristics, later people describe more mental characteristics - Three features of self (Baumeister, 1986) • self includes the body • self includes the social identity • self is the active agent Functions of Selfhood - Self is an interpersonal tool - self makes choices - self regulation - self is an active agent Self-Knowledge - self-knowledge come from: • feedback from others • self-comparison - Self as a blank slate?! • not exactly true! 1 Thursday, January 12, 2017 Perceived Self-Knowledge - Self-knowledge is obtained from others but it is heavily filtered through biases from others: • politeness of others • our lack of tendency to hear and process criticism Accuracy of Self-Knowledge - is it possible to have an accurate understanding of self-knowledge? • yes, autobiography writers (self concept is the most complete form of knowledge available) • no, psychoanalysts (self-concept is very hard to obtain) Introspection - introspection is one way of developing self-knowledge • the process of looking inward and examining our thoughts and feelings - introspection has some limitations: • people don't engage in introspection often • reasons for some of our behaviours are hidden from out conscious awareness Healthy Self-Knowledge - according to Taylor & Brown (1988), good mental health includes several systematic distortion: • Exaggerating positive self-evaluation • Exaggerating perception of control • Having unreal
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 2310

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit