Psychology
Course
PSYC 2310
Professor
Saba Safdar
Semester
Fall

Description
Altruism Question of Motives - Why do we act to benefit others? a) We care about the welfare of others (altruistic motivation) b) We care about ourselves – we are helping ourselves (egoistic motivation) -Evolutionary perspective A Look at History - There is a strong assumption in psychology of universal egoism  This is the majority view in economics, political science, & philosophy - Greek philosopher Epictetus 38 Witnesses! - Silent Witnesses: The Kitty Genovese Murder (1964) - Alternative analysis: The Probable of the 38 Witness Why Don’t People Help? - Darley & Latane (1968) came up with an ingenious answer. They suggested that after noticing the problem, people have to take sequential decisions before helping. 1. What is the problem? - Don’t want to act too quickly if nothing is wrong - Latane & Darley’s experiments - State of pluralistic ignorance (we privately reject the norm around us, but we don’t do anything about it because we think everyone else accepts it) 2. Is it my repsonsibility? - “No one is doing anything, but should I?” - Darley & Latane’s study – participants who believed they were alone went to find the source of the noise & go help; participants who believed there were other people around did not help. - Diffusion of responsibility 3. What can I do? - A sense of competence (to help) Psychological Answers - Three fundamental forms of egoistic prosocial behaviour: 1. Gaining rewards - Kinsh
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 2310

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit