Psychology
Course
PSYC 2310
Professor
Saba Safdar
Semester
Fall

Description
Stereotypes Well known stereotypesBarbarian Chinese fire drillDutch treatExcuse my FrenchGet your Irish upIndian giver Meanings of these stereotypesBarbarian Uncivilized people living outside of Christianity goes back to the Victorian Era Chinese Fire DrillA state of chaotic disorder Dutch treatwhen each person pays his or her own expenseExcuse my French links the French language with negative language Get your Irish up To become angry or outraged Indian giverwhen a person gives a gift and takes it backWhat is the problem of these stereotypes oAn issue of generalizability Most stereotypes are objectionable because oThe implicit ethnocentrismwe assume that we are different that my ethnicity is the norm based on the assumption that ones ethnic group is superior and is the norm and anything outside of that group is abnormal oThe implication that perceived differences are inborn and unalterable StereotypeLippmann a political journalist described stereotype as the pictures in our heads oCreating an image of other people in our mind How do stereotypes form Social categorization oThe categorization of people is very subjectiveoGrouping people on the basis of gender ethnicity and other attributes oConsequences of categorical thinking Ingroup favoritismOutgroup homogeneity oPart of human condition Is Stereotype Inevitable Stereotypes as automatic process
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 2310

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit