PSYC2650 Lecture notes 3.docx

12 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 2650
Professor
Dan Meegan

This preview shows pages 1,2 and half of page 3. Sign up to view the full 12 pages of the document.
Description
PSYC2650 – Lecture Notes Nov. 8, 2012 - Linguistics = language field - Some q’s asked by cognitive scientists (involved in computer science, communication, psychology, linguistics, etc.  through different methods, but have similarities): o is language a uniquely human ability? o What are the relative roles of nature and nurture in language development?  We know quite a bit about the nature of language prominent o What is the relationship between language and thought?  Linguistic determinism - Psycholinguists = psychology of language Linguistics – studies structure of natural language (vs. everyday use) o Kind of theoretical enterprise psychology interested in how language used o People systematic in behaviour, but systematically irrational there’s noise in our behaviour (fluctuations) o Competence = person’s abstract knowledge of language even if can’t explain formal rules, can demonstrate in use that we have it  Performance = actual application of that knowledge in speaking/listening  Does competence underlie performance?  (psychologists) no, making linguistic judgements has little to do with everyday language use  Linguistic judgements = ask how you use vs. infer based on performance Psycholinguistics – study of language behaviour; everyday use of language does not always correspond to linguistic theory o Everyday use of language is unique requires studying - Behaviourism = empiricism/nurture = our language abilities are learned (not innate) o Against mentality of language our language abilities are nothing but stimulus-response associations o Criticisms: evidence for innate constraints on language (nature) Chomsky  If look at world’s languages = all languages have something in common 2 linguistic cultures never exposed to each other have formal rules (universal qualities of language) genetic endowment for language  Nurture = language you know and speak, but existence of universals = nature - Relationship between language and thought (by behaviourists?): o “Thought” = language no such thing as thought, focus on observable behaviour how do we explain the subjective thing we all have?  Language = auditory motor phenomenon; thinking = just sub-vocal speech (talking to self)  Evidence FOR = recordings of sub-vocal speech activity while subjects are engaged in thought  Threshold?  When a person is thinking, it seems as though there is the sub-threshold activity in the vocal system  AGAINST = people can still think when completely paralyzed (but can’t speak) o Not just at level of muscles and vocal tract, but also in brain (i.e. pre-planning activity)  Memory for meaning rather than exactly what was said o If we were purely linguistic beings, you would be very literal in what we say o We do things that are detached from language itself extracting meaning  Non-human animals seem to think o Language determines thought Linguistic determinism – language determines way a person thinks or perceives the world It’s hard to think/describe something without there being a word to describe it  i.e. Inuit/snow rich terminology causes change in perception  evidence AGAINST = people seem to think the same way about things despite linguistic differences  i.e. English has many colour words, Dani (New Guinea) does not no differences in colour perception o Thought determines language  (evolutionary perspective) language arose as tool whose function was to communicate thought  Language has been shaped to fit the thoughts it must communicate  Evidence = thinking ability appeared earlier evolutionarily than language (i.e. non- linguistic animals that seem to be capable of thought)  Thinking ability occurs sooner developmentally than language (i.e. pre- linguistic children capable of doing cognitive things)  In languages with many colour words, words correspond to colours to which visual system is maximally-sensitive o Language and thought are independent  Modularity = language functions independently from other cognitive functions (even if it arose to communicate thought)  Modules = seemingly unique system that operates differently than others  Unique developmental time-course own rules, critical period, etc.  independent system  Language acquisition = language acquired according to unique learning principles  Evidence for uniqueness = no direct instruction required for language acquisition o Don’t need teachers or parents to teach language, don’t need to learn to speak  Language acquired even under impoverished learning conditions  Critical period for language learning - Innateness of language = language universals limit possible characteristics of natural languages o Children possess innate knowledge of universals o Evidence = examples of uniformities among world’s languages - Language comprehension = we place meaning on it o Spoken, signed, or written input perception = identify words parsing = assess meaning of word combo (phrases/sentences) utilization = use meaning Parsing – words transformed into mental representation of their combined meaning Grammar – set of rules that can generate all acceptable utterances of language + reject all unacceptable sentences in language Syntax – rules governing sequences and combos of words in formation of phrases and sentences  Syntactic violations = i.e. the girls hits the boys, did hit the girl the boys? Phrase (structure) – hierarchical division of sentence into units Semantics – rules governing meaning of sentences  Semantic violations = i.e. colourless green ideas sleep furiously Nov. 13, 2012 - Not all languages have same rules for order, but order important for any given language - There are 2 main/distinct halves of a sentence (noun phrase and verb phrase) o First part of sentence tells about second; action occurs at expense of something else Syntactic ambiguity – sentence with >1 possible phrase structure >1 way to interpret o i.e. he wants to discuss sex with Dick Cavett - (parsing + phase structure) when comprehending sentences, we interpret individual phrases combine interpretations o Evidence: presented sentences 1 line at a time in 1/2 forms form A = natural places to break-up sentence (at phrase boundaries); form B = breaks at wrong places  Better comprehension in A than B more likely to remember and answer questions better  Break up sentences naturally = better comprehension; if break up where need word to parse properly = interferes with comprehension  Comma (,) gives reader cues to parse (pause)  Read sentences word-by-word press button to view next word  Measure amount of time subjects looked at word before pressing  Cycles (peaks and valleys) peaks = phrase boundaries (speech duration corresponds to reading speed)  With completion of each major phrase, subjects need time to process the phrase  Recency effect for non-semantic details subjects heard passage, when interrupted had to write down as much of passage as could remember  If ask to repeat sentence at end of sentence = very accurate (almost 100%) for last part of sentence (recency); bad at early part of sentence (primacy)  Once parse, don’t have to remember details, just have to remember the gist (extract meaning) o Remember first part but not word for word (remember meaning) o Once phrase has been processed, there is no need to retain exact words because meaning has been interpreted  Phase divisions next step down for sentence divisions - Phrase boundaries are important; as each word comes in, we try to actively interpret when phase boundary comes in, we can interpret o We do not wait for phrase to end before attempting to interpret its meaning Immediacy of interpretation – people try to extract meaning out of each word as it arrives o Evidence: eye movements during reading time spent looking at individual word = proportional to its meaningfulness (spend more time at some words than others, i.e. “ferocious dragon” > “the”) Garden-path sentences – (i.e. maze) commit to one interpretation of transiently (temporary) ambiguous sentence before all relevant info available  Sometimes interpretation wrong have to back track  Meaning changes by end of sentence (vs. syntactic ambiguity)  i.e. the old train the young - syntactic cues for comprehension: Word order – same words, different order = different meaning i.e. the dog bit the cat, the cat bit the dog Function words – i.e. whom; “the boy the girl liked was sick” = sets interpretation that there’s something coming next = transient ambiguity (i.e. “the boy, the girl, and the dog...”)  function word avoid ambiguity “the boy whom the girl liked was sick” Word inflection – i.e. he vs. him (different forms of pronoun, plural, tense)  “him kicked the girl” inflection interpretation (believe they made a mistake with inflection; more likely) = “the girl kicked him”  order interpretation = “he kicked the girl” (assumes the sentence order is right so change the inflection; rare)  in English, order usually trumps inflection assume mistake not mis-ordering but wrong inflection (inflection interpretation; correction wrong sentence)  in other languages, inflection more important to parsing (inflection > order) - semantic cues for comprehension: o when semantic cue placed in conflict with syntactic cue, semantic cue may determine interpretation i.e. John was buried and died (assumes chronological order of events) - syntactic + semantic cues: i.e. chased the dog the eraser syntactic (dog is being chased) and semantic (eraser can’t chase) cues in conflict = variable interpretation (reorder or use imagination) o i.e. chased the eraser the dog cues in agreement = consistent interpretation (syntax leading us in same direction as semantics) o conflict = variability in interpretation - parsing: Prosodic cues/Prosody – pattern of pauses and pitch changes that characterize speech production pitch changes = emphasis, questions; pauses = phrase structure  monotone speech = no pauses or pitch changes  emphasis changes meaning of sentence  pauses in speech production occur at junctures between major phrases  prosodic cues can disambiguate sentences i.e. the horse raced past the barn fell the horse raced past the barn fell  i.e. the women painted by the artist fell the woman painted by the artist fell Pronominal reference – when a pronoun is used, to whom does it refer?  Cues for determining pronominal reference (1) # or gender cues = i.e. Melvin, Susan, and their children left when he (Melvin) became sleepy o Okay to use “he” because only one singular male  (2) syntax = pronouns tend to refer to objects in the same grammatical role = i.e. Floyd punched Bert and then he (Floyd) kicked him (Bert) o If order doesn’t change, okay to use pronouns; but if roles switched (Bert kicked Floyd), then pronoun use not okay  (3) recency = pronouns tend to refer to most recent candidate referent = i.e. Dorothea ate the pie; Ethel ate cake; later she (Ethel) had coffee  (4) knowledge of the world = i.e. Tom shouted at Bill because he (Bill) spilled the coffee depends on semantic/action cues o i.e. Tom shouted at Bill because he (Tom) had a headache Aphasia – language deficit language = complex = many different forms of aphasia o i.e. Broca’s = damage to frontal lobe = couldn’t speak well couldn’t put thoughts in order, lacked controlled speech; can’t produce comprehendible speech  deficit in speech production slow and effortful, lacking function words (i.e. the, of), lacking inflections (i.e. plural, tense), sound like telegram  affects production + comprehension problems specifically about grammar o i.e. the boy ate the cookie = syntax + semantics (no other way to interpret the sentence)  vs. the boy kicked the girls = syntax only  Broca’s aphasics might have trouble with latter  inferior damage; adjacent to motor strip (voluntary movements of muscles) lower part = muscles for speech o damage to telling motor cortex what to do effectively  Wernicke’s = damage to temporal lobe = comprehension deficit; can’t comprehend speech  Area places interpretation Nov. 15, 2012 Broca’s aphasia – damage to Broca’s area = agrammatism affects production + comprehension Wernicke’s aphasia – deficit in comprehension, can’t understand spoken or written language o speech fluent and effortless but meaningless meaninglessness can be specific Anomia – inability to name objects o residual understanding tone, prosody, and body language processed in other parts of the brain (from Wernicke’s area) so spared use as cues to comprehend - those who use introspection study mental imagery problems: when people experiencing mental imagery = vivid image, other argue can describe imagery but it’s not picture-like o fell out of favour as method Mental imagery – elicit mental images seen in the mind’s eye, or heard in mind’s ear, or smelled in mind’s nose - imagery and memory: when we are mentally visualizing something, we use long-term and working memory o perceptual knowledge = memory for what things look/sound like  perceptual knowledge deficits = can’t give perceptual description, can’t tell what something looks like (that part of world is gone) Introspection – (Galton) describe images and rate their vividness o subjects reported that they could inspect their images as they would inspect a picture scene represented as if viewed from certain position and distance  something very visual about experience  individual differences = some subjects described images of photographic clarity, as if were actually seeing imagined scene  others reported very sketchy images, or none at all able to think about scenes but weren’t “seeing” these scenes  some describe as more verbal than vision  why? Do individuals really differ in nature of their mental imagery ability? o Differences in terms of tools at our disposal o Perhaps just differed in descriptiveness o What is revealed in self-report data is not imagery, but imagery as the subject elects to describe it need more objective approach, i.e. cognitive psychology  Cognitive psych in WWII = human limitations + tools other than introspection to study mental imagery Chronometric studies of memory – (using response time) ask subjects to do something with their images, i.e. read info off of them (scanning) or manipulate them in some way (transforming) o How long it takes them to do one thing vs. another = nature of mental images o 2 main possibilities posed against each other (nature of mental images) = pictorial/depictive (do they look like pictures? Do they depict something?) vs. verbal/descriptive Image scanning – (Kosslyn) memorize map containing landmarks (new image never seen before)  Form an image of the map, and point you mind’s eye at a specific landmark  Imagine a black speck moving from that landmark to a second landmark  When speck reaches the target, press a button, stopping a clock  Measure how much time it takes  IV = distance, DV = response time positive linear relationship short distance = fast response time, vice versa  Wouldn’t expect anything like this if didn’t have tool at disposal only thing people can access of memory of island = descriptive description of it (???)  Mental image seems to be depiction of map (vs. description) Image transformation – (Shepard) pairs of 2D pictures of 3D objects paired pictures differed in orientation (i.e. orientation differences could be in picture plane (2D) or depth plane (3D))  Determine if paired figures were same or different  Measure how much time (in seconds) it takes to determine whether same/different shape “mentally rotate” one figure to match other  DV = amount of rotation needed to do  Amount of time to complete rotation = function of angular difference between 2 figures  Past 180 degrees = easier discrimination closer to what comparing to (360 = 0) peak function in middle but linear on both sides  Mirror image = more challenging  Individual differences could illustrate spatial abilities/processing  Sex differences male superiority in spatial abilities/processing (males respond faster) Mental rotation – mental images undergo a transformation in 3D space  Shepard’s perfect linear function = hallmark for cognitive psychology Kosslyn hypothesis – experiencing mental images is related to experiencing external visual stimuli - Imagery = perception in reverse perception = sensation > perception > long-term memory; imagery = long-term memory > perception o Evidence = cognitive neuroscience are brain areas involved in perception (i.e. visual cortex) also involved in imagery?  Functional imaging = brain activity during cognitive task IV = time  i.e. when stimulus involved (visual cortex + visual stimulus = activity; take away visual stimulus = activity goes back down)  Brain damage = people with cortical blindness can’t imagine things visually memory system fine but difficulty conjuring mental imagery  i.e. case of colorblind painter brain processing of colour damaged,
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1,2 and half of page 3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit