PSYC 2650 (166)
Dan Meegan (73)

PSYC2650 Lab notes 2.docx

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Guelph
PSYC 2650
Dan Meegan

PSYC2650 – Lab notes LAB 4 – Encoding Specificity Context – reinstatement often useful in remembering; important in encoding and retrieving info - (Tulving and Thomson) experiment demonstrates way in which info is encoded greatly influences retrieval of the info context = words as word pairs Encoding specificity principle – predicts that info can only be retrieved when it is encoded in memory + retrieving info depends on manner in which info is encoded  retrieval cue in learning stage (i.e. word pair chair-table “chair” = strong retrieval cue for “table”) + encoding of the 2 words (“chair” and “table”) together during learning phase improves memory during test phase  words from strongly associated word pairs in input stage (i.e. wasp-sting) best recognized when in company of same strongly associated word in recognition stage  better than when target word (wasp) paired with another highly associated word (bee) that had not been seen in encoding phase  words from weakly associated word pairs lead to better memory for one of the words in pair than does a strongly associated cue not encoded originally  i.e. pool-ravine pool = better memory cue for ravine than abyss  match between encoding context and retrieval context facilitate memory for target - “filler” trials = new words and associations presented used in memory experiments to prevent response bias from subject Mood-congruency effect – (Bower) being in same mood at encoding and retrieval = better memory o People better at remembering happy events from diaries while in a happy mood, and sad events when in a sad mood  memory best when match between encoding and remembering phases - “contexts” effects = physical setting in which one learns and recalls info (Godden and Baddeley) scuba divers encode/retrieve words on land and water o When context for learning and recalling are same = recall more words o No context effect for recognition of words (only retrieval) LAB 5 (Fan Effect) Fan effect – shows that knowing a lot about a specific subject does not necessarily mean that you will be able to retrieve info about the topic more quickly o Tendency to take longer to retrieve info about facts/concepts that have more info/relational links (as in domains in which a person has more expertise) o i.e. easiest sentences to judge as true/false were about a person who had been at only 1 location or about single location with only 1 person shorter reaction/response time  reason reaction time longer for sentences with people/locations with more info = associative network depict concept nodes and relations among them o found with retrieval of real-world knowledge, face recognition, and alpha-numerical facts  may not be as prevalent when retrieving real-life info domains usually have >1 or 2 relations to other concepts (large sets of interrelated knowledge)  retrieval could be faster in multiple-
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 2650

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.