Psychology
Course
PSYC 2650
Professor
Dan Meegan
Semester
Fall

Description
PSYC2650 – Lab Notes Lab 7: Mental Rotation 3D - visual imagery plays causal role in our behaviours i.e. salivate or feel hungry after mentally picturing hot fudge ice cream sundae - pulling image from memory and manipulating it = high-level cognitive skill Mental imagery – study of how we mentally represent memories of scenes/pictures + how we manipulate those images through rotation and scanning  debate = nature of mental representations that we use + functional role in cognition - (Mental rotation 2D = strong relation between degree of mental rotation of 2D letters and time it takes to make judgements about the letters o longer reaction times to physically rotate an object same relationship between degree of rotation and response time using 3D stimuli) - response time to 3D stimuli proportionately related to degree of rotation between the 2 images o further rotation (relative to each other) = longer response time (longer time to mentally align them)  3D images not rotated all-in-one rotate part of one image, then check to see if remaining parts line up correctly with other image (part-by-part rotation)  Evidence: experiments in which subjects showed faster reaction times when told could perform mental rotation task by rotating only part of figure o mean speed = 60 degree/s - in general, people make more mistakes in 3D task (vs. 2D task) + have longer avg time for rotating o both 2 and 3D tasks show same linear reaction between relationship (3D graph steeper) - mental representations we use during rotations tasks are picture-like representations o parts of brain active during actual “seeing” (i.e. visual cortex in occipital lobe) also active when we generate mental images from memory as if actually “seeing” an internal picture o temporal loves may also be responsible for helping recreate mental pictures of objects  i.e. LH = visual agnosia patient, damage to visual pathways from visual cortex to temporal lobes unable to recognize objects + can’t generate mental images - parietal lobe + few other areas (i.e. frontal lobes, basal ganglia) active when mentally rotate images o superior parietal lobe = execution of mental rotation; parietal lobe processes info about spatial location of objects in space + allocated visual attention to objects in space  generating mental images from memory + operating on them (i.e. scanning, rotation) = psychologically and neurologically distinct  i.e. LH able to
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 2650

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit