Winter 2013

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 3100
Professor
Pat Barclay
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Lecture 4
Adaptationism
Adaptation
Trait or set of traits that evolved because they serve some function.
o Increases reproductive success
How can we recognize an adaptation
o Not all things are adaptive (example why is blood red? Its not that it's adaptive its just due to
interactions of haemoglobin)
o Reverse engineering
Go from form to function (infer function).
Example beaks of different shapes (why?) --> to eat different foods thus allowing
coexistance/reduced competition
Criteria of good design
o Reliability
Example: arctic hare fur colour change in summer and winter
Example: hunger
o Specificity
The phenomenon is only produced under specific circumstances
Example: arctic hare fur colour doesn't change in response to hunger
o Efficiency
Favourable benefit to cost ratio
Are the effects of phenomenon positive and more beneficial than other behaviours
o Parsimony
Is proposed function the simplest (most parsimonious) explanation
Is there something that would better explain the phenomenon.
Many explanations in psych fail this
Physical disgust
Function?
o Protection from noxious substances
o Keep us away and prevent us from consuming things that would make us sick
We can have the same mechanisms being used in other domains
o Example: we can have physical disgust, sexual disgust, moral disgust, etc
o Natural selection takes things that were there before and can reuse them in other domains.
Predictions?
o If you present two people with 2 similar stimuli but one is more associated with disease the
one that is more associated with disease will be associated with more disgust
o People who need to be more concerned with disease will show greater disgust.
Study
o Two pictures some that are more related to disease others that are less associated with
disease and had to rate them as more or less disgusting
o Found women give higher ratings of disgust than do males.
Is it reliable?
o It is fairly reliably triggered by things that are disgusting but you can train yourself to no
longer be disgusted

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Lecture 4 Adaptationism Adaptation  Trait or set of traits that evolved because they serve some function. o Increases reproductive success  How can we recognize an adaptation o Not all things are adaptive (example why is blood red? Its not that it's adaptive its just due to interactions of haemoglobin) o Reverse engineering  Go from form to function (infer function).  Example beaks of different shapes (why?) --> to eat different foods thus allowing coexistance/reduced competition  Criteria of good design o Reliability  Example: arctic hare fur colour change in summer and winter  Example: hunger o Specificity  The phenomenon is only produced under specific circumstances  Example: arctic hare fur colour doesn't change in response to hunger o Efficiency  Favourable benefit to cost ratio  Are the effects of phenomenon positive and more beneficial than other behaviours o Parsimony  Is proposed function the simplest (most parsimonious) explanation  Is there something that would better explain the phenomenon.  Many explanations in psych fail this Physical disgust  Function? o Protection from noxious substances o Keep us away and prevent us from consuming things that would make us sick  We can have the same mechanisms being used in other domains o Example: we can have physical disgust, sexual disgust, moral disgust, etc o Natural selection takes things that were there before and can reuse them in other domains.  Predictions? o If you present two people with 2 similar stimuli but one is more associated with disease the one that is more associated with disease will be associated with more disgust o People who need to be more concerned with disease will show greater disgust.  Study o Two pictures some that are more related to disease others that are less associated with disease and had to rate them as more or less disgusting o Found women give higher ratings of disgust than do males.  Is it reliable? o It is fairly reliably triggered by things that are disgusting but you can train yourself to no longer be disgusted  Is it specific? o Is it only produced in response to noxious substances?  Not usually initiated in response to good or inert things.  Is it efficient? o When you experience disgust you tend to avoid the thing that disgust you fairly effectively  Parsimony? o Are there better explanations out there? Byproducts  Traits that have no function that are caused by some other trait that is adaptive (blood example).  Foot print shape? o Foot print isn't adaptive but it is a byproduct of the shape of the foot that is well developed to the organism  Function of blindspot? o Not just due to design of the eye  Masturbation o No function (lust) vs shedding old sperm. o Requires testing between them  How they come about o Inevitably produced  Breathing out CO2 o Trait not being subject to selective. o Traits 'piggyback' on other traits  A trait that is strongly selected for what has other traits associated with it those associated traits will increase as well  Example: aggressive mating in male roosters (kill 50% of their mates) that may be linked
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit