PSYC 3100 – Week 7
Lecture 12 – October 22, 2012
- Lecture 13 – October 24, 2012
Finish Chapter 8
- Animals do it all through extinct, and we are all higher than that is NONSENSE
- If you made a list of what makes us special – 1 thing (most likely at the top) would be language
o What better instinct is language? We become pre-equipped to learning language without doing anything.
What would it take for a human not to learn language? Isn’t a whole lot you can do.
Even if there is a boy raised by chipmunks, he will still develop some kind of language
Very hard for humans not to learn language - instincts crying to express themselves
o If you try to learn a language post puberty – when all language mechanisms are shut down, it will be tough because you
are getting other modules that are not designed to stand in and do that job
- You are going to retain your accent – what accent? I speak English, this is Canada, what accent?
o When you go around speaking English to other native English speakers, you will notice an accent
- English is one of only languages to have phoneme “th” (this, that, etc.) “dis” and “dat” in other languages
- Language obviously grammar – “learn” grammar without instruction, deep structure, universal practice
o Textbook – “your high school English teach was trying to make you think consciously about rules that you follow
unconsciously, even as a young child”
Chapter 9 – Individuality: Intelligence and Personality
- When you see someone with really good personality they’ll get far
- When you see someone with really shitty personality he’s a jerk, etc.
- Why doesn’t everyone have the best?
o 1 answer – both personality and intelligence are polygenic traits, many genes contribute to the making of, distributions
around the optimal value
o Ideas like intelligence and personality are really metaphors, not things, things are stuff like brown hair, blue eyes, etc.