Psychology
Course
PSYC 3100
Professor
Hank Davis
Semester
Fall

Description
Lecture Notes – Wednesday November 14 2012 th Continuation of chapter 11 - Histrionic Personality disorder is the female equivalent of a sociopath o Exaggerated attention seeking behaviour o Sexually provocative o Easily influenced o Perceive relationships to be more intimate - Cheating strategies must be different among sexes o Guys: act more committed than they are and it pays off for them o Girls: use the “I need you so much strategy” and keep boys enthused by their need - Histrionic females will abandon offspring voluntary to other family members who will be manipulated into being stuck raising the children - Histrionic females manipulate others to gain nurturance for themselves - Borderline Personality Disorder o Pattern unstable interpersonal relationships o They idolize their relationship, take it over the top to a “wow” factor – too much too soon then unrealistically trash it at the sign of any different o Have an intense fear of abandonment o Have insecure parental attachments that stem from childhood o Each new encounter they get into they have a gross idolization that may occur by even the second time meeting that person o These individuals harbour a great deal of misery and self destruction - Some ask “Why wasn’t this stuff weeded out by Natural Selection?” this is because natural selection is not looking for perfection and does not have an agenda - As a society we have removed selection pressure and this lets a lot of heritable crap through the system which therefore lets bad phenotypes exist - The statistics on autism conclude that it occurs in 1 out of 80 people Chapter 12- Mating - In our generation there is a big difference between sex and reproduction – this has never existed before - 2 main questions: What attracts you to the partners you choose? And What accounts for the massive and reliable sex differences in mating strategies? - Clark Hatfield 1989- males and females approached by other strangers of the opposite sex, a brief conversation occurred then the stranger asked the participant one of three questions: o Would you go out with me? o Want to come up to my apartment? o Want to spend the night with me? ( go to bed with me?) - Male’s and female’s did not respond the same, males always had a higher percentage of answering yes, particularly to the third question - The sex that puts more time into the offspring can be more selective about mating - Women’s reproductive capacity is limited by physiology – it takes time to have offspring and regenerate - Men’s reproductive capacity is limited by women otherwise they are always ready to go - Gay men have 100’s to thousands of potential partners - Some men indulge in parenting which slows down their reproductive rate - In a perfect monogamist system, reproductive rates between men and women are the same - Monogamy is recent- in terms of evoluti
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 3100

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit