Psychology (3,830)
PSYC 3390 (74)

Learning Log Asgn.docx

10 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Guelph
PSYC 3390
Mary Manson

Online Submission Assignment Cover Page Name: Sarah Murphy ID#: 0715438 Date: October 15, 2012 Course #: PSYC 3390 (DE) Course Name: Abnormal Psychology Instructor: Mary Manson Assignment #: 1 Assignment Name: Learning Log Assignment # of Pages (including this one): 10 (For instructor‟s use) Grade: Challenge Question Journal 2.1 In the past, people believed the mentally ill to not be worthy of fair treatment. We believed that the mentally disturbed were really witches and so we punished and often killed them for being such. (Butcher et al, 2010, p. 37). In the sixteenth century, institutions like “madhouses” came out to hold those who were mentally disturbed. The people who entered these facilities would be treated like prisoners – the violent patients were shown off for a penny a look, and the more harmless patients were forced to walk the streets looking for charity. (Butcher et al, 2010, p. 38). Inmates, or patients, were not treated as humans at all; they were treated like beasts; with little concern for appropriate care, jail as homes, and begging for charity. People believed the mentally ill or disturbed to be pure filth, they needed their own kind of supervision in separate institution and should be restored to their original being through a multitude of unkind treatments, such as being drained of harmful fluids, powerful drugs, and more. (Butcher et al, 2010, p. 40). Finally, in the nineteenth century, alienists gained control of the asylums and added moral management into the medical procedures. (Butcher et al, 2010, p. 43). As we came closer to the present, the views on the mentally disturbed have changed dramatically, we no longer punish them and want to restore their original being by draining their harmful fluids, but we want to help them get better in any way we can. In my opinion, Schizophrenia is a mental illness in which the behaviour manifests itself as crime. Schizophrenics are no more likely to commit a crime or be violent than other member of a community, unless they are abusing drugs and/or alcohol. (Centre for Violence Prevention, 2009). I do, however, believe that if a person with such an illness were to commit a crime, even if another personality in the mind is telling the main person to do so, he or she should be put in jail. Not only is the person a danger to a community, but also to themselves. In order to protect them from hurting themselves or anyone else, it would be better for the person to be put in jail. An alternative to prison may be to put the person in a mental institution, this way they could be treated for their illness in a safe and nurturing environment rather than in the chaos of a jail cell. Challenge Question Journal 2.2 If someone I loved, had a mental disorder I would try to use terminology that is the softest to describe their illness, for example “mentally ill” instead of “mentally retarded”. I would want them to have treatment inside of an institution, depending on the severity of their disability, as well as to be around other people who have the same issues so he or she doesn‟t feel alone. I would also want my friends and family to be delicate as well by using softer and more gentle terminology when talking about the disabled and wanting what is best for them at all times. I don‟t think movies or TV shows that made jokes about psychology disorders would bother me because I know that they are doing it to get ratings, they may not actually think that. People are entitled to their own opinion, and I am not one to try and change anybody. I would continue to be kind and gentle about the disability and other people may choose not to be. Mentally Ill/Disabled Mentally Retarded Pro - Kinder, more gentle - Gets the point across Con - Sometimes to broad - Can be offensive Challenge Question Journal 3.1 According to Butcher et al. (2010, p. 74), the concordance rate is the percentage of twins sharing a disorder or trait. Butcher et al. (2010, p. 74) concludes that no psychological disorders are completely heritable, but there are relatively high concordance rates for identical twins in some common and sever forms or psychopathology, this is because they develop from a single zygote. The ideal study for genetic factors is in using identical twins that have been reared apart in extremely different environments. Some researchers have argued that higher concordance rates in identical twins is inconclusive as it is possible that identical twins are treated more similarly by their parents. (Butcher et al, 2010, p 74). Challenge Question Journal 3.2 There are a number of different ethical issues that a clinician should be aware of when evaluating a client‟s test results. This could include cultural biases – a clinician from one specific sociocultural background may have a more difficult time assessing the behaviour of someone from a different sociocultural background. (Butcher et al, 2010, p. 137). Theoretical orientation is another ethical issue involved in interpreting test results. A clinician‟s perception, assumptions influence the assessment of test results, this means that a clinician may interpret the behaviour of the patient differently than someone else, then the treatment will reflect that interpretation. (Butcher et al, 2010, p. 137). Underemphasis on external situations could be another potential ethical issue. According to Butcher et al (2010, p. 137), clinicians have a tendency to overemphasize personality traits as being the cause of a patient‟s problem, without paying enough attention to the potential role of stressors and other conditions in the patient‟s life. The next potential ethical issue a clinician should be aware of is insufficient validation. Some psychological assessments nowadays have not been sufficiently validated. (Butcher et al, 2010, p. 137). The fifth and final potential issue is the issue of inaccurate data or premature evaluation. There is always a possibility that some data in a test result may be inaccurate or even that a researcher may choose to ignore certain aspects of the test data while supporting other information. This issue could lead to potential misunderstandings of a patient‟s problem as well as attempts to get further information may be cut off, this could be very serious when it comes to the patients health. (Butcher et al, 2010, p. 137). Manson-Hennig (2012) presented a story on the course webpage about a patient who was prescribed the same anti-depressant, after a quick assessment, which just so happened to be the same medication that the patient had previously tried to commit suicide with three times before. This is an example that clinicians need to make sure that they have all of the necessary information about a patient when analyzing their test results, otherwise mistakes like this could happen, but could lead to much more severe conclusion. Challenge Question Journal 3.3 According to Manson-Hennig (2012), the five dimensions of a good assessment are that there should be an interview with the client or patient as well as their family members or other people who can provide any information, preferably first hand, about the patients functioning. Secondly, detailed information should be noted about developmental history, personal-social history, work and education history, important relationship history, and health history. The third dimension of a good assessment is that the patient‟s current emotional, cognitive, and physical functioning should be evaluated on a day-to-day basis. Nowadays, physical functioning is much more complex with the introduction of EEG‟s, CAT scans, PET scans, and MRI scans; these aid
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 3390

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.