PSYC 3390 (74)
Lecture 4

Week 4.docx

4 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Guelph
PSYC 3390
Mary Manson

Chapter 5 – Stress and adjustment disorders What is stress?  Stress the adjustive demands placed on an organism’s internal biological and psychological responses to such demands AND a by-product of inadequate or poor coping  Stressors (adjustive demands) obstacles in life  Coping strategies efforts to deal with stress  Eustress positive stress – stress brought on by a wedding  Distress negative stress – stress brought on by a funeral o Often does more damage  Stressors can be identified as a causal effect in specified Axis IV disorders (adjustment, acute stress and PTSD Categories of stressors  3 basic categories: frustrations, conflicts and pressures  frustrations o internal and external circumstances that lead to self-devaluation and feelings of incompetence  conflicts o simultaneous occurrences between incompatible needs or motives o approach-avoidance conflicts strong tendencies to approach and avoid the same conflict  want to get into a certain psych class because the proff is amazing but have heard it is a lot of work and I already have a busy semester o double approach conflicts choosing between 2 or more desirable goals  e.g. 2 classes that I want to take are both offered at 2:30 on Tues and Thurs and both classes sound amazing. one has an amazing proff but I don’t know anyone in the class while my best friends are in the other class but I don’t really know the proff o double avoidance conflict choosing between 2 undesirable alternatives  e.g. you have a huge paper and a midterm and only 1 day. You can either split your time and possibly fail both or pick one to get a 0 on  pressures o need to achieve certain goals  external pressures – parents want me to do well in school  internal pressures – I want to get into good graduate program factors predisposing a person to stress  the severity of the stressor increases the stress  personality affects how you perceive the stressor and how much it affects you  the nature of the stressor o the longer the stressor operates, the more stress it occurs o strressors can have a cumulative effect o shift workers rather then scheduled workers are more likely to consider their jobs full of stress o proximity to a traumatic event also increases stress  the experience of the crisis o crisis times when a stressful sintuation approaches/exceeds the adaptive capacity of a person o often stressful because the stressors are ommre potent than nrmaly handled o crisis = overwhelmed while stressors are manageable o some crises can help a person become more adjusted then before if it encourages them to seek out new coping mechanisms i.e. support groups o crisis intervention providing psychological help in times of severe and special stress  life changes o the faster the change, the greater the stress o social read-adjustment rating scale – an objective method for measuring the cumulative stress to which a person has been exposed to over a period of time  measures stress in terms of Life Changing Units (LCU)  death of a spouse = 100 LCU  divorce = 73 LCU  vacations = 13 LCU  those with a rating of 300 LCU or more were at risk for getting major illnesses within 2 years o impact of Event Scale – measures stressful events by measuring a persons reaction to a stressor and asking a series of questions to identify the stress related symptoms a person is exeirencing  nit widely used as it is highly criticized o life event and difficulty schedule - a semi-structured interview in which the life event rating variables are put into clearly defined context to increase the interrater reliability  a persons perception of the stressor o different reactions to environmental stressors due to the way different people perceive stressors o people make 2 different appraisals  primary appraisal – is this a threat?  Secondary appraisal – can I cope?  E.g. a person can get a 60% on a test and some may see it as a threat and freak out while others are able to deal with it and will not be anxious about it  Knowing what to expect, understanding the reason of the stressor or finding some benefit will make the stress more easily handled  Individuals stress tolerance o Stress tolerance a persons ability to withstand stress without becoming seriously impaired o Stress tolerance is due to environmental and genetic factor o Early trauma can lead to sensitivity in stress o Stress in one area can lead to extreme sensitivity in that area particularly later on  Sexual assault can make a person extremely vulnerable in areas of sex and relationships  A lack of external resources and social supports o Positive social and family relationships can moderate the effects of stress on a person o Problems with interpersonal relationships were most commonly reported stressors in daily life o The stress of illness is compounded by the loss of support which is why most religions also have some sort of help for the bereaved Coping with stress  If you are already upset about something, you are predisposed to see a friend cancelling as an indication of your friendship  Coping with stress has 3 levels o Biological level – there are immunogical defenses and damage-repair mechanisms o Psychological and interpersonal level – there are learned coping patterns, self defenses and support from external environment o sociocultural level – group resources like religion and law enforcement agencies o failing to cope on any level will increase vulnerability to stress task oriented coping  task oriented response may involve making changes in ones self, ones surroundings or both depending on the situations defense oriented coping  defense oriented coping occurs when a persons feeling of adequacy is threatened by a stressor and act in a way to avoid feeling hurt rather then resolving the problem  2 types of responses o crying, repetitive talking, mourning o ego-defense mechanisms – denial, repression o often used together with task oriented coping o based on 3 steps 1) denying, distorting 2) reducing emotional or self involvement and 3) counteracting threat or damage adjustment disorder: reactions to common life stressors  adjustment disorder someone with this will have maladaptive responses to stressors and occur within 3 months of the stressor and a person is unable to function as usual o if maladaptive behaviour continues passed 6 months then other diagnosis may be made adjustment disorder caused by unemployment  loss of employment is huge stressor  serious long term effects harmful to self concept, self worth and feeling of belongingness adjustment disorder caused by bereavement  sudden death of a loved one accounts for 1/3 of PTSD cases  first reaction is disbelief  sadness  grief despair  those with defensive coping styles do not always go through the stage of grief  normal grieving process can take around a year and the griever usual y suffers negative health effects i.e. high blood pressure, change in eating habits  pathological reactions occur usually in those with severe dislike of the deceased and are now feeling extreme guilt adjustment disorder caused by divorce or separation  huge stressor for the people involved  marital disruption is a major source of vulnerability to psychopathology  divorce may motivate the task oriented coping response of seeking counseling posttraumatic stress disorder  traumatic event is persistently re-experienced through intrusi
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 3390

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.