Psychology (3,805)
PSYC 3480 (17)

Exercise 7.1-7.8.docx

1 Page
Unlock Document

University of Guelph
PSYC 3480
Anneke Olthof

Exercise 7.1 to 7.8 7.2) Why do we have overzealous parents? Have you or your friends ever had this kind of pressure? How did it turn out? Overzealous parenting often puts extreme pressure on their children to be successful, especially in sport. These behaviours can include yelling during competitions, disagreeing with coaches about their child, as well as derogatory insults directed at opposing players, other spectators, and officials. Parents may believe that they are doing what is best for the child by getting involved in the event and putting excess pressure on the child, but this is not the case. This pressure could make the child not want to participate in the sport, as his or her parents are too involved. One of the reasons that I know of that can explain why we have overzealous parenting could be a parental injury. I had a friend in high school who was very into sports, played rugby, basketball, etc. – you name it, she played it! Her mum was involved in a lot of sports, but unfortunately was involved in some kind of accident when she was younger, which damaged her knee and left her unable to play sports. For this reason, her mum was at all of her daughter’s games and would frequently yell at her to do better or make comments about the way she was playing. I remember speaking to my friend one day and asking about it, and she said that she had lost all of the enjoyment in playing sports and was only playing for her mum. I felt awful for her! Does anyone else have any experience with overzealous parenting? 7.3) Where do you stand on the issue of competitive organized sport versus spontaneous play for children? Is competition bad for young children? Should coaches and game officials keep score? The course reader states that organized sport builds character and teaches appropriate social values and self-control. It provides the opportunity to acquire physical and social skills, to acquire a sense of fairness and sportsmanship to learn how o achieve and accept personal challenges, to learn coping skills, persistence, and lifelong patterns of physical activity which promote health, fitness, and an enrichment of life. I agree with competition from a young age because it can teach children some great things, but I agree with a part of the course reader that says that the overemphasis on winning at all costs is a fundamental concern. I think that competit
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 3480

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.