Psychology (3,805)
PSYC 3690 (27)

PSYC*3690 Lecture Week 10.pdf

4 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Guelph
PSYC 3690
Benjamin Gottlieb

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 PSYC*3690 Community Mental Health Lecture #18 - this thursday the 21st he will go over an article, bring the book (Lazarus and Folkman) - read article before then - donʼt miss thursday the 28th because his friends are coming in How We Go About Measuring Coping - these 3 are very broad classifications of coping: 1. approach/avoidance or engagement/disengagement coping 2. problem-focused coping and emotion-focused coping - distinguish 2 very broad goals - problem-focused coping for controllable stressors - emotion-focused coping for all stressors 3. cognitive vs behavioural modes of coping - you can cope through the thoughts you have and through the behaviours you have How do you study peopleʼs ways of coping? - self-report measures What would an item on a self-report measure say? - When I feel stressed, I tend to run & hide (dispositional attribute, getting at coping style or cross-situational consistency in coping) - When I was diagnosed, I ran and hid (situationally specific coping) Do you think that there is some fundamental consistency in the way that you cope, or do you think that it differs depending on the situation and the stressor? - there may be a core style you have that comes out pretty regularly and is an expression of your personality and your temperament - but also, each stressor is different and may require a different approach - itʼs both - there is a certain amount of cross-situational consistency which does arise from temperament and personality characteristics - certainly there is also a lot of situational coping because there are particular stressful demands that have arisen (never dealt with it before, very severe stressor) What would examples of general core styles be? - optimism - silver lining, everything will be okay - social support - almost always I will talk to someone about it, vent - organization - plan everything out, make lists Examples of Domains on a Self-Report Measure - support seeking - distancing, avoidance - wishful thinking - you can conceptualize coping in gross terms like these, or microlevel like each item on a self-report measure - coping is not defense mechanisms What are the limitations of self-report measures for studying coping? - question: “ I found a way to apologize or did something to make up” - this may not be relevant to all stressors, how do you apologize when you get a major life threatening illness - is it possible that there are ways of coping with particular stressors that arenʼt on this list? probably - theyʼve created an instrument that they want to use across all stressors - you get a score, and the higher the score, the more ways of coping you used but what do you do if thereʼs an item that shouldnʼt be in there because it wasnʼt relevant to the stressor, it shouldnʼt be on the list or included in the score - also if you have other ways of coping that arenʼt on the list, they arenʼt being accounted for in the score - question: “found new faith” how do you answer that by picking 0 (not used), 1 (used somewhat), 2 (used quite a bit), and 3 (used a great deal) - question: “rediscovered what is important in life” - this response style is not appropriate, how do you measure in time how much you found faith or rediscovering whatʼs important in life - how do you measure and put a score to coping style? - another problem is you really need to know what are the big stressors that need to be unpacked and part of each issue, there are multiple stressors of an issue that people may be focusing on at different times and coping with different ways Overview of the Issues: 1. Over-inclusion and under-inclusion of items that are not relevant to the stressor at hand 2. Response Format 3. The measure has a great deal of social desirability built into it (may way to give the impression that they are trying hard, making an eff
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 3690

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.