PSYC4310 Lecture 10: Guest Lecture-Child Life

4 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 4310
Professor
Clare Mac Martin

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Wednesday, October 21, 2015
Child Life at the End of Life
What is a Child Life?
-focus on development from infancy to would adulthood
-overarching goals:
promote coping
minimize adverse effects of stressful experiences such as hospitalization
-some are in dentist, child welfare, etc.
-preparation, education, coping, expression, family involvement
-therapeutic, medical and expressive play
Child Life-Regulation
-child life council- certifies > regulates
certified does not equal regulation
-OACCPP-insurance
code of ethics and standards of practice
Context-Curative vs Palliative
-what is my role when a child is dying?
“nothing more we can do…”
-shift in focus from medicine and cure to connections and care
“always something we can do”
-help a family be together and support one another
Context: Grief
-needs doing, not fixing

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Wednesday, October 21, 2015 Child Life at the End of Life What is a Child Life? - focus on development from infancy to would adulthood - overarching goals: • promote coping • minimize adverse effects of stressful experiences such as hospitalization - some are in dentist, child welfare, etc. - preparation, education, coping, expression, family involvement - therapeutic, medical and expressive play Child Life-Regulation - child life council- certifies > regulates • certified does not equal regulation - OACCPP-insurance • code of ethics and standards of practice Context-Curative vs Palliative - what is my role when a child is dying? • “nothing more we can do…” - shift in focus from medicine and cure to connections and care • “always something we can do” - help a family be together and support one another Context: Grief - needs doing, not fixing 1 Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - goals: understanding the illness/what is happening, supporting children, inclusion (whether the child gets to choose medical decisions about themselves or how often they visit someone dying), connection, expression (learning what to say to the person dying or having overwhelming feelings you need to let out) - -encourage: open, honest family communication Context: Who is my Client? - child, person who is dying and family • whole family is your client - what if needs, wishes, priorities conflict? • ex. suggesting that a child set the table so the child feels the present of their dead father but mother not being able to do that Chloe’s Story - 18 year old girl with leukaemia and side-effects (another virus growing in her body- that would kill her but chemo would kill her with this virus) - has not been told she’s dying and parents protecting - chloe was saying ‘did I get this because I’m a bad person’ - parents “she will lose hope” My Priorities - the client: what does she want to know/ask? - how can we address her fears/concerns? - who’s my client? • needs mom’s tru
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit