REAL 1820 Lecture 3: Note 3 - Real Estate

2 Pages

Department
Real Estate and Housing
Course Code
REAL 1820
Professor
Jian Zhao

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Key Terms
Market A mechanism through which goods and services are exchanged among different
participants.
- Mall, EBay, Real Estate Market
Submarket Sub-division within a market.
- Property Type: single family markey, apartment market
- Geography: Cities, towns, communities
For any market, there should be a price for ownership. Price is equal to the rent divided by the
capitalization rate. The capitalization rate is the rate of return for real estate investment. Rent is
the price of the occupancy rights for a specific period of time.
A Basic Model of Supply and Demand
Supply and demand models tell us how the forces of supply and demand are able to deterind
the price of a good or service in a market.
Example: The scalping market for sports tickets. How is the ticket price determined in this
market?
The demand curve shows how much of a good or service consumers want to buy at a given
price.
The law of demand suggests that a higher price of a good, other things equal, leads people to
demand a smaller quantity of the good.
Supply schedule shows how much of a good or service would be supplied at different prices.
Supply curves graphically show how much of a good or service people are willing to sell at any
given price.
When you put the supply curve and the demand curve together on a graph, we are able to find
the market equilibrium. When the two curves cross, at that point, we can see the equilibrium
quantity, where the quantity demanded equals the quantity supplied. The price corresponding
to the point where the curves meet is called the equilibrium price or market-clearing price.
A Shift of the Curves
If the demand curve shifts to the right, that means that there is a surge in demand. If the
demand curve shifts to the left, it represents a decline in demand.
If the supply curve shifts to the right, people will be more willing to sell and supply, but if the
curve shifts to the left, this means that they are less willing to sell and supply that good or
service. When this happens, there is a shift in the equilibrium.
Rent: The price of rent in a real estate market is represented by a demand curve. As price/rent
decreases, space demanded increases and vice versa.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Key Terms Market A mechanism through which goods and services are exchanged among different participants. - Mall, EBay, Real Estate Market Submarket Sub-division within a market. - Property Type: single family markey, apartment market - Geography: Cities, towns, communities For any market, there should be a price for ownership. Price is equal to the rent divided by the capitalization rate. The capitalization rate is the rate of return for real estate investment. Rent is the price of the occupancy rights for a specific period of time. A Basic Model of Supply and Demand Supply and demand models tell us how the forces of supply and demand are able to deterind the price of a good or service in a market. Example: The scalping market for sports tickets. How is the ticket price determined in this market? The demand curve shows how much of a good or service consumers want to buy at a given price. The law of demand suggests that a higher price of a good, other things equal, leads people to demand a smaller quantity of the good. Supply schedule shows how much of a good or service would be supplied at different prices. Supply curves graphically show how much of a good or service people are willing to sell at any given price. When you put the supply curve and the demand curve together on a graph, we are able to find the market equilibrium. When the two curves cross, at that point, we can see the equilibrium quantity, where the quantity demanded equals the quantity supplied. The price corresponding to the point where the curves meet is called the equilibrium price or market-clearing price. A Shift of the Curves If the demand curve shifts to the right, that means that there is a surge in demand. If the demand curve shifts to the left, it represents a decline in demand. If the supply curve shifts to the right, people will be more willing to sell and supply, but if the curve shifts to the left, this means that they are less willing to sell and supply that good or service. When this happens, there is a shift in the equilibrium. Rent: The price of rent in a real estate market is r
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit