REAL 4840 Lecture 1: REAL4840 Lecture 1 09:11

2 Pages

Department
Real Estate and Housing
Course Code
REAL 4840
Professor
J.Moon

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Origins of Land Ownership System
(Roots of the British Common Law System)
Essetiall… The ruler oed all of the lads
o You paid the ruler for use… ia rops, ilitar serie et.
The eaig of, I O this Lad…. BUT ultiatel ou are a teat of the ro
o All land ultimately belongs to the crown
o FEE Simple is the highest level an individual can own
Then there is a tenant (some protection in property landlord obligations)
o The ol differee toda… is that ou pa propert taes!
If ou dot pa… the uiipalit can take the property away
Zoning e at put a fator i a residetial area
Crown has the ability to expropriate: hih has haged throughout the ears… o there is a proess to
follow
Restrictions: city can impose restrictions things you can and cat do
They can impose protective inheritances: e: ou at reoe a ertai porh eause it is arhiteturall
significant... you must maintain the current porch
Many legislations will try to legalize morality (ex: trying to not allow strip clubs)
Rural Tenants government can take anything they want
Agreements of Purchase & Sale
Crucial to any transfer of a property
Defines your deal the terms of buy/sale
Ma people thik if ou sig a agreeet, theres a oolig off period 24 hours to hage our id NO YOU DO NOT!!
o Binding contract unless you put a certain condition that allows you meetings before deal becomes firm (etc. house
mortgage)
Contract must be in writing for the buying and selling of real estate
o Statute of Frauds: specifically states that any agreement must be in writing unless it is not enforceable
Verbal Contracts for things like CAR are enforceable (BUT, without witnesses it is a he said-she said
situation) (obviously better if in writing)
There are NO standard-form contracts
o 20 years ago there was an attempt to standardize new home purchase agreements did not last long
o Builders geerall hae their o agreeet hih the ill call their standard
Look out for the hidden contracts
o ALWAYS read through conditions
o Toronto agreements are generally worse than towns such as Guelph
o Try to make the signing conditional on your reviewing with a Lawyer
Land Registration System: system developed to properly identify parcels of property
Aids in Uniform development of properties of land
A plan may superimpose the Concession/Lot
o Old oessio/lots ere geerall 200 ares ad easured i hais & liks
o Old chains and lots were 100 chains by 20 chains** double check this
Oasioall ou ill see old desriptios of  feet to the oak tree,  feet to the strea
ed
o HARD to identify, so registry system needs MUCH more exact descriptions
o Someone will have to pay to have a new description drawn that meets the
requirements of the Registry Act (surveyor, description done) (NOT cheap!!)
REAL*4840
Lecture #1: Land Ownership & Registration Systems
Monday, September 11th, 2017
Fee Simple: greatest possible
estate in land. Owner has right
to use it, exclusively possess it,
dispose of it & take its fruits
The land registration system
contains official records of land
and property in Ontario,
including the title (legal term
for land rights held by
person/corporation), deed
(legal term used for legal
document transferring title),
mortgage + other land
documents
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
REAL*4840 Lecture 1: Land Ownership Registration Systems Monday, September 11 , 2017 th Origins of Land Ownership System (Roots of the British Common Law System) Fee Simple: greatest possible Essentially The ruler owned all of the lands estate in land. Owner has right o You paid the ruler for use via crops, military service etc. to use it, exclusively possess it, The meaning of, I Own this Land. BUT ultimately you are a tenant of the crown dispose of it take its fruits o All land ultimately belongs to the crown o FEE Simple is the highest level an individual can own Then there is a tenant (some protection in property landlord obligations) o The only difference today is that you pay property taxes! If you dont pay the municipality can take the property away Zoning we cant put a factory in a residential area Crown has the ability to expropriate: which has changed throughout the years now there is a process to follow Restrictions: city can impose restrictions things you can and cant do They can impose protective inheritances: ex: you cant remove a certain porch because it is architecturally significant... you must maintain the current porch Many legislations will try to legalize morality (ex: trying to not allow strip clubs) Rural Tenants government can take anything they want Agreements of Purchase Sale Crucial to any transfer of a property Defines your deal the terms of buysale Many people think if you sign an agreement, theres a cooling off period (24 hours to change your mind) NO YOU DO NOT!! o Binding contract unless you put a certain condition that allows you meetings before deal becomes firm (etc. house mortgage) Contract must be in writing for the buying and selling of real estate o Statute of Frauds: specifically states that any agreement must be in writing unless it is not enforceable Verbal Contracts for things like CAR are enforceable (BUT, without witnesses it is a he saidshe said situation) (obviously better if in writing) There are NO standardform contracts o 20 years ago there was an attempt to standardize new home purchase agreements did not last long o Builders generally have their own agreement which they will call their standard Look out for the hidden contracts o ALWAYS read through conditions o Toronto agreements are generally worse than towns such as Guelph o Try to make the signing conditional on your reviewing with a Lawyer The land registration system contains official records of land Land Registration System: system developed to properly identify parcels of property Aids in Uniform development of properties of land and property in Ontario, including the title (legal term A plan may superimpose the ConcessionLot for land rights held by o Old concessionlots were generally 200 acres and measured in chains links o Old chains and lots were 100 chains by 20 chains** double check this personcorporation), deed (legal term used for legal Occasionally you will see old descriptions of x feet to the oak tree, x feet to the document transferring title), bed mortgage + other land o HARD to identify, so registry system needs MUCH more exact descriptions o Someone will have to pay to have a new description drawn that meets the documents requirements of the Registry Act (surveyor, description done) (NOT cheap!!)
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit