SOAN 2120 Lecture : SOAN 2120 Ch.7.docx

28 views3 pages

Document Summary

Generalizing from a sample to a large population is probability sampling [involves random selection] Probability sampling is selecting a random sample from a list that has the names of everyone in the population under the study being examined. Nonprobability sampling- [i. e. homelessness; there is no list of who is and who isn t homeless] Example of it is snowball, judgemental ,quota sampling reliance on available subjects-i. e. stopping ppl at street corners; doesn t allow control over representativeness of a sample [can be useful for questionnaires, but not for describing studies] Purposive or judgemental sampling-choosing sample based on your own knowledge of the population and purpose of study [i. e. you might want to study the leadership of a student protest movement] Snowball sampling-accidental sampling [members of a special population i. e. homeless ppl, prostitutes, undocumented immigrants] Researchers collect data on a few members of that group and then ask them to provide information needed to locate others.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers