Sociology and Anthropology
Course
SOAN 2111
Professor
Linda Hunter
Semester
Fall

Description
SOAN 2111 LECTURE – OCTOBER 4TH Locke (continued) My work – My stuff - Connection between labour and the right of ownership helped promote capitalism - The preservation of property - Feudalism violated people’s natural right to own property Locke’s Social Contract - Because everyone has natural rights, government should be a matter of mutual consent among everyone involved = a social contract - Denied oppression that there’s any obligation to obey - Monarchy is not above the social contract - People had a right to rebel but not a right to revolution = change the personal who occupied the person in place of authority - Rulers job is to protect property – so people can replace him but not change the system - The poor do not share in Locke’s democratic rights o Neither do women Hobbes Key Points: - Natural man is cruel like - Mutual interest in the chaos in our minds - Everyone needs to submit a common interest Locke Key Points: - People are born free and equal - Society can be plunged into a state of war: so we need to establish a mutual social contract - Property – what we work for o If we take too much, were greedy and we need to give things we take for granted to people who may need it Rousseau Key
More Less

Related notes for SOAN 2111

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit