Lecture 3

SOAN_2120 - Week 3 LEC 2.docx

6 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Guelph
Sociology and Anthropology
SOAN 2120
Scott Schau

SOAN*2120 – Week 3 LEC 2 Asia Barclay Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - Submit Assignment 1 ASAP so that you can redo it if TurnItIn spotted errors! - Summary due the 15 of February & class will be CANCELLED THAT DAY in order to make sure you get your work in on time - Dropbox opens this week - MY GROUP: Group 1 (“Drug Use in Schools”) - I-CLICKERS for bonus marks!!! CRITERIA FOR CAUSALITY - Correlation does not imply causation! - Often, logic suggests that observed associations are not causal i.e. because of a third variable; because of coincidence; etc. - Idiographic explanations 1. Credibility 2. Whether ―rival hypotheses‖ were seriously considered and found wanting - Nomothetic explanations 1. Cause  Effect 2. Two variables must be empirically correlated 3. Relationship is not the result of a third variable NECESSARY AND SUFFICIENT CAUSE - Necessary Cause Condition must be present for the effect to follow (i.e. becoming pregnant—not guaranteed to happen but if the conditions for it are present, there is always a chance of it happening) - Sufficient Cause Condition guarantees the effect (i.e. if you don’t show up for an exam, you’ll fail it) May not be the only possible cause of an event - A cause can be necessary, but not sufficient - A cause can be sufficient, but not necessary - Causes can be both necessary and sufficient Necessary and Insufficient Necessary AND Sufficient Sufficient and Unnecessary LINKING MEASUREMENT AND ASSOCIATION - Scientists use: Imperfect indicators Imperfect associations  Interpretations Example #1: For his statistics course, C. Masaki found out the proportion of McGill students who receive their bachelor’s degree in four years or less. With this information he devised a categorization of the faculties with the lengthiest and shortest programs. The purpose of this research was... A. Merely exploratory B. Exploratory and explanatory C. Explanatory and descriptive D. Merely descriptive We don’t know the scope of the study...but if it was exploratory it would be more specific to one program, rather than an entire university. You could also argue for a merely exploratory purpose (A.) as well. But the solid answer is D. Example #2: Throughout her honours thesis, J. Brownstein documented the rate at which Canadian university students have dropped out of school for the past 10 years. She proposes that competing demands (such as work and family obligations) are the main factors driving these observed trends. Her honours research is... A. Merely explanatory B. Exploratory and explanatory C. Explanatory and descriptive D. Merely Descriptive E. Descriptive and predictive Example #3: For her paper, Prof A. Roy intends to investigate how often police searches are accompanied by the use of sniffer dogs, following the recent Supreme Court decision of R. V. Kang Brown in 2008. Prof. Roy’s research is...
More Less

Related notes for SOAN 2120

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.