Sociology and Anthropology
Course
SOAN 3070
Professor
Jennifer Long
Semester
Winter

Description
WEEK FOUR­ Doing Qualitative Rsearch in the Library User Experience (UX) mission: to improve the experience of using the library User Experience (UX) Mantra: Every decision we make affects how people experience the library Methods Observation Interviews Usability tests Photo surveys Contextual inquiries Participatory Design workshop Focus groups Journey mapping Participant observation  8 UX Study Principles 1. nothing is too ordinary to study  2. what people say they do may be different from what they actually do 3. watch for pain points and workarounds.  4. Use more than one researcher 5. Research▯ test solutions▯ research again.  6. Use more than one research method (triangulation) 7. aim for saturation 8. involve all stakeholders Recent Studies How do students experience the service desks? Are the intimidating Understandable to students Do they understand what the library signs mean How do students experience ebooks? How do faculty find books and articles? How do students experience our furniture? How do patients navigate the emergency department. Field Notes What’s going on? What tools/equipment are people using? How are people interacting? What problems do you notice? What patterns do you notice? What contributes/detracts from the purpose? Stairwell What are people using them for Phonecalls use your senses­ its cold What is Community Based research? Also called community engaged research  Benefits Links university knowledge and resources with those of the public and private sectors Prepares educated, engaged citizens Strengthens democratic values ad civic responsibility Addresses critical societal issues and contributes to the public Characteristics of the quality 1. Clear communication of research (change) goals between academic and community  partners 2. Provide meaningful research (well­prepared and knowledge) 3. Appropriate Methods: Rigor and Community Engagement 4. Significant results: impact on the field and the community 5. Dissemination of knowledge to academic and community audiences 6. Reflective critique: lessons learned to improve the scholarship and community  engagement  i. self reflective community reflective WEEK FOUR PART 2­ Ethnography and Observational Methods “I want to understand the world from your point of view. I want to know what you know in the way  you know it. I want to understand the meaning of your experience, to walk in your shoes, to feel  things as you feel them, to explain things as you explain them. Will you become my teacher and  help me understand?”                                                               James P. Spradley ethnographies try to be representational Ethnography and Participant Observation These terms are often thought to be synonymous although the latter (PO) is often described as one  part of ethnographic research In both cases, researchers are immersed in a group of people for an extended period of time,  observing behaviour, listening to what their subjects say in conversation, and asking questions  (Bryman et.al. 2012: 148) Gaining Access ‘to the field’ How to gain access depends on several things: the setting, the people and you Setting: open (public) or closed (private)  People: gate keepers, sponsors, key informants You: are you taking an active or a passive role Trick of the trade­ How to gain access to… Closed Settings 1. Use people you know. 2. Find a gatekeeper (sponsor) within the organization. 3. Offer some
More Less

Related notes for SOAN 3070

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit