September 18, 2013 – POLS3300
Assignment One is DUE next Wednesday!!!!
just say what’s important
offence from CCC – dangerous driving yeeeuuuhhh
not homicide, not sexual assault – toooooo many subsections and shit
text of criminal code provision that you’re doing at the top of paper and in bold.
Homicide (example of classification)
- section 222 of the CCC governs homicide classification. Know how it works!
- Murder (ss. 229 and 230), infanticide (s. 233) and manslaughter (ss. 232,
234, and263) are all defined by the Code
- A person commits homicide when, directly or indirectly, by any means, he
causes the death f human being.
- Homicide is culpable or not culpable. (worthy of blame – homicide that is
not culpable is not an offence)
- What homicide is not culpable? During the job protecting civilians (police
officer, military) By popping a balloon and someone having a heart attack!
Doctor trying to save someone during surgery, etc.
- Culpable homicide is (1) murder or (2) manslaughter or (3) infanticide.
Murder S. 229
Culpable homicide is murder.
- (a) where the person who causes the death of a human being
o (i) means to cause his death, or
o (ii) means to cause him bodily harm that he knows is likely to cause
his death, and is reckless whether death ensues or not
- (b) where a person, meaning to cause death to a human being or meaning to
cause him bodily harm that he knows it likely to cause his death, and being
reckless whether death ensues or not, y accident or mistake causes death to
another human being, not withstanding that he does not mean to cause death
or bodily harm to that human being; or