Thursday, October 8, 2015
- Radical feminism — women should be in charge, men are terrible
- Liberal feminism — looking for equality, justice, equal opportunity
- Socialist/ Marxism feminism — sieze consequences of capitalism. Changing
restructuring society is too radical for them.
- Chivalry Hypothesis (Pollak): reason why their are less women in the system there
are differential of reinforcement of being nicer to women. When females contradict
their gender roles, the system is more harsh than they would be on males.
- Liberation Thesis (Daly and Chesney-Lind, 1988) — levels of crime increased which
was coincidental with second wave of feminism. The more liberated, the more access
to commit crime.
- Power Control Theory (Hagan, Gillis and Simpson — class and family structure
played a big role in young females. They looked at Traditional (working class,
mothers don't work) daughters, and Egalitarian (both parents working) - daughters in
these households more likely to be criminals.
- Victimology: Routine Activities Theory:
Cohen and Felson (1979)— everyday activities allows you to come into contact
• Three important arguments: 1) Motivated Offender (will be a young male) 2)
Suitable target (object or a person, ex: unlocked home person in dark alley way) 3)
Capable guardianship (degree to which targets are protected ex: security etc)
• Time Dimension:Periodicity (regular observation of peoples schedules); Tempo
(how frequent you're out); Timing (coordination of
• a) Offender and motivation
• b) Components
1 Thursday, October 8, 2015
c) Expressive Crime (crime that happens in heat of the moment).. loss control,
• Violence : Instrumental - for gain or proﬁt. Or Expressive- loss of control, anger,
-Interpersonal violence - domestic violence, race/ethnicity
- Mandatory arrest
• 1. police behaviour
• 5. “redistributive function”
• Reduces domestic violence: city, employment, short term and long term
• Restraining orders
- Nature and Consequence - women 4 times more likely to get injured. Greater
consequences for women victims.
Men as Victims
Report- least likely to report victimizations