SOC 1500 Lecture Notes - Youth Criminal Justice Act, General Social Survey, Organized Crime

27 views49 pages

Document Summary

Course topics: what is crime and how much crime, crime and representation (media/pop culture, criminological theories, selective issues, violent crime, youth, corporate crime, national security, criminal justice system"s response to crime. Substantive: rights and obligations. i. e. criminal law states what types of conduct are prohibited. Procedural: sets out the methods to enforce these rights and duties i. e. contains rules for enforcing criminal law e. g. Procedural: sets out the methods to enforce these rights and duties i. e. contains rules for enforcing criminal law e. g. rules police must follow when making an arrest. Criminal law: comes into existence when the state declares itself to be the injured party for certain types of infractions (linden, 2004:21). Crime: an intentional act or omission in violation of the criminal law, committed without defense or justification and sanctioned by the state (tappan 1966:10) Actus reus: guilty act or physical element (or omission) Fagan v. commissioner of metropolitan police (1969) 1 q. b.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers