SOC 1500 Lecture 12: SOC1500 Final Review (1)

18 views12 pages

Document Summary

Theme of this course is balancing individual rights with public safety/crime control. Sociologist c. wright mills says the sociological imagination means understanding society by having a grasp of the interplay of social structure and individuals. Substantive: rights and obligations i. e. criminal law states what types of conduct are prohibited. Procedural: sets out the methods to enforce these rights and duties i. e. contains rules for enforcing criminal law e. g. Procedural: sets out the methods to enforce these rights and duties i. e. contains rules for enforcing criminal law e. g. rules police must follow when making an arrest. Criminal law comes into existence when the state declares itself to be the injured party for certain types of infractions. Crime: an intentional act or omission in violation of the criminal law, committed without defense or justification and sanctioned by the state. Basic elements of a crime: actus reus guilty act or physical element (or omission, mens rea guilty mind or intention.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers