Sociology (2,901)
SOC 2280 (49)

race scale

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Guelph
SOC 2280
Linda Hunter

Bogardus Social Distance Scale • Robert Park and Ernest Burgess first defined social distance as the tendency to approach or withdraw from a racial group. Emory Bogardus conceptualized a scale that could measure social distance empirically. This Bogardus scale asks people how willing they would be to interact with various racial and ethnic groups in specified social situations. People are asked whether they would be willing to admit each group - To close kinship by marriage (1.00) - To my club as personal chums (2.00) - To my street as neighbors (3.00) - To employment in my occupation (4.00) - To citizenship in my country (5.00) - As only visitors to my country (6.00) - Would exclude from my country (7.00) The Content of Prejudice: Stereotypes • Stereotypes are unreliable generalizations about all members of a group that do not take individual differences into account. Evidence for traits may arise out of real conditions. For example, more Puerto Ricans live in poverty than Whites, and so the prejudiced mind associates Puerto Ricans with laziness. Similarly, some activists in the women’s movement are lesbians, and so all feminists are seen as lesbians. • Numerous scientific studies have been made of these exaggerated images. This research has shown the willingness of people to assign positive and negative traits to entire groups of people, which are then applied to particular individuals. Stereotyping causes people to view Blacks as superstitious, Whites as uncaring, and Jews as shrewd. Lakota Sioux member Tim Giago speaks strongly against the widely accepted, commercially successful use of stereotypes in the continued use of Native Americans as mascots for athletic teams. • In the last 30 years, we have become more aware of the power of the mass media to introduce stereotypes into everyday life. For example, almost all television roles showing leadership feature Whites. Even urban-based programs such as Seinfeld and Friends prospered without any major Black, Hispanic, or Asian American characters. • A 1998 national survey of boys and girls aged 10 to 17 asked “How often do you see your race on television?” The results showed that 71 percent of White children said “very often,” compared with only 42 percent of African Americans, 22 percent of Latinos, and 16 percent of Asian Americans. Generally, the children viewed the White characters as affluent and well educated, whereas they saw the minority characters as “breaking the law or rules,” “being lazy,” and “acting goofy.” Stereotyping
More Less

Related notes for SOC 2280

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.