1. Some ideas of conflict theory
• Crime is explained within economic contexts
• Power struggles exist between groups
• Differences in class?
• Street crime & corporate crime
2. Conflict theorists study the following:
• The role of government in creating a criminal society
• The role of group power in shaping criminal law
• Biases in the justice system: who wins/who loses
• Relationship between capitalism and crime rates.
3. Position of conflict theorists
• Argue against consensus model of law
• Less power = easily criminalized
• Law and crime are about power
• Groups fight for power
4. Conflict theorists start with some questions:
• Why are only some norms made into law?
• Why are only some laws enforced?
• Why are laws