Canada (492,936)
Sociology (2,901)
SOC 2700 (268)

3 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Guelph
SOC 2700
Norman Dubeski

Question 1 Human Nature  Thomas Hobbes: Humans are born badly, and the only way to keep them from doing bad is to have rules and a social contract.  Cesare Lombroso: humans are born criminals – we have original sin “Origional Sin” Example 1. Park hurt Prison, Britain, C-Wing  Patrick ( inmate) says that both is parents served time, and that it is just naturally in him to be in jail, its in his heritance.  Danny – robbed and murdered people, through personal things they said- Dr. asks if he thinks its in his blood ? – he replies, well my father has always been a violent person, I knew that I have in my personality that would kill- he wanted to know how it felt to have the power over another human being – as he got older it was stuck more and more. I thought that im born evil – he just gets pleasure in hurting people for no reason Environment  Andre Guerry and Adolphe Quetlelet argue that crime happens from those who are brought up in low economy families who want more  John Locke and Tabula Rosa – People are born with a blank slate – their experiences are what shape them  Karl Marx- the conflict struggle between social classes. – depends on where you grow up  Strain theory: people are unable to support themselves and have to resort to other means “Origional Sin” Example  John McVicar was a criminal and from his perspective, he chose to be one – the circumstances he found himself in made him commit crime – he grew up in a sub culture – in crime for most od his teens.  It became an issue when his son was following the same path - he says that yes he has the same genes as his father but hes also growing up in the same area, having to deal with the same circumstances o Could there ever be a gene for behavior used as an excuses?  NO, unless this gene so determined behavior that it over road free will. Question 2 Biological Theories of Crime Physical Appearance  The earliest biological theories in criminology emphasized physical appearance as the distinguishing mark of a criminal  This even dates back to the ancient Greek times with Socrates, and travels several years later  Johan Lavater and Physiognomy – the relationship between facial features and human conduct  Joseph Gall and Phrenology- the relationship between the exterior brain and the different inner parts of the brain.  Gustave Le Bon and Craniology- the relationship between the skull size and shape in relation to being a criminal.  William Sheldon – The study of different body types. o People start off as embryos, and as we grow we develop into one of three body types.  Ceasare Lombroso and the “ Born Criminal” o Expanded on these thoughts to the whole body in one o Relied on Darwin’s theory of Evolution being that some people are biological throwbacks to an earlier evolutionary stage. o Lombroso called these people Atavistic criminals – criminals that are less evolved then other people Heredity Family Studies  Children tend to resemble their parents in appearance, mannerisms, and disposition.  Goring did several studies and found that there was a high correlation between the length of imprisonment of parents and their children
More Less

Related notes for SOC 2700

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.