Sociology
Course
SOC 3410
Professor
Mervyn Horgan
Semester
Winter

Description
Individual and Society: Week 2 Reading Mind Self and Society Section 22 The "I" and the "me" ­ Although the self is a product of socio­symbolic interaction, it is not merely a passive reflection of  the generalized other. The individual’s response to the social world is active; she decides what  she will do in the light of the attitudes of others;  ­ two phases (or poles) of the self: (1) that phase which reflects the attitude of the generalized other  and (2) that phase which responds to the attitude of the generalized other. Here, Mead  distinguishes between the “me” and the “I.” The “me” is the social self, and the “I” is a response to  the “me” (Mind, Self and Society 178) ­ “The ‘I’ is the response of the organism to the attitudes of the others; the ‘me’ is the organized set  of attitudes of others which one himself assumes”  ­ Mead defines the “me” as “a conventional, habitual individual,” and the “I” as the “novel reply” of  the individual to the generalized other (Mind, Self and Society 197). There is a dialectical  relationship between society and the individual; an ­ Although the “I” is not an object of immediate experience, it is, in a sense, knowable (that is,  objectifiable). The “I” is apprehended in memory; but in the memory image, the “I” is no longer a  pure subject, but “a subject that is now an object of observation”  ­ The self is essentially a s
More Less

Related notes for SOC 3410

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit