Sociology
Course
SOC 3750
Professor
Michelle Dumas
Semester
Winter

Description
WEEK 6 Lec 9 Tues Feb 12. Paper - Lang – discipline VS everyday o Avoid: society, individual, culture o Use person or people instead - Avoid I think or believe  I will argue etc (rather first person) - Plural words (data, phenomenon, media) (need verb agreement – “data are distributed) - Govt sites, stats can, police sites but not counted as 10 sources - Doesn’t have to be just Canadian - Quotes explained for their relevance if used - Can cite more than one author for a sentence/claim when more than one made the same claim - Citations - Intro (10%) o Locate problems to be investigated w/I context of sociological concerns  W sociological thesis  And indication of the specific topic (issues/arguments) to be addressed and how they will be addressed o THESIS ONE SENTENCE o About 5 arguments - Analysis (55%) o Discuss topics as become relevant o Each section (argument) specific link to demonstrating the validity of the thesis o Sociological concepts used – defns of key concepts o Explicit recognition of sociological research*********************************  Social theory - Conclusion (5%) (specific to general) o Past tense o No new data - Presentation/style 20% - Sources 10% o Academic, recent & relevant (social science) – MIN 10 - Can use subheadings Media, Crime and Police Public Arenas Model - Subset of social constructionism - Look at how reality socially constructed and the ways in which social problems crime or deviance is constructed from the media - Competition: carrying capacity o Competition for space so need to compete for story to be told 1 WEEK 6 Lec 9 Tues Feb 12. o Assumes public attention a scarce resource so each public arena has limited carrying capacity so only so much public space available - Principles 1. Drama: vivid and dramatic  More drama more likely to be placed 2. Novelty: new  Cover old story w new spin or evidence etc 3. Culture: rooted in mythic themes  Loss of life 4. Politics: “powerful” sponsors Frame Analysis - Goffman - New stories framed before presented to you, ways to analyze the frame - Help find meaning in issue, reinforce power relations, shape nature of discourse - Entman 4 functions of brain 1. Problem definition
More Less

Related notes for SOC 3750

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit