Winter 2011

Department
Biosystems Engineering
Course Code
BIOE 3270
Professor
Paliwal
Lecture

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.
Dynamic Response of Measuring Instruments
Transducer:
A device that converts a signal from one physical form to a corresponding signal having a different physical form
Physical form: mechanical, thermal, magnetic, optical, electrical
Transducers are energy modifiers or converters
Sensor: receives a stimulus and responds
Dynamic Characteristics: The properties of the system transient response to an input.
y=f(x)
The dynamic response is typically modeled by a constant coefficient linear differential equation

ax
dky(t)
dtkKa2
d2y(t)
d2ta1
dy(t)
dt aoy(t)x(t)
I practice, these models are limited to zero, first, and second order
Zero Order Instruments: have an output that is proportional to the input at all times
Static gain of the instrument (measure of its sensitivity)
o Example would be a strain gage where

R
L
A
(output is proportional to the length of the wire.
No delays
The sensor only changes the amplitude of the signal
Unit Step Function:
x(t)=0,

t0
x(t)=1, t>0
o For a zero order instrument, y(t)=Kx(t) y(t)=0, for

t0
; and y=K for t>0 therefore response of a zero
order instrument to a unit step function with height k, would be K
First Order Instruments: output is given by a non-homogeneous first-order differential equation

d
dt y(t)y(t)Kx(t)
o

is called the time constant of the instrument
o The response of a first order instrument to the unit step function

d
dt y(t)y(t)K
x(t)=1
Initial condition y(0)=0

y(t)K(1et
)
When t=

y(
)K(1e)0.632K
Second Order Instrument: second order non-homogenous differential equation

d2
dt2y(t)2
d
dt y(t)
2y(t)K
2x(t)

- constant, damping factor if the instrument

- angular frequency of the instrument
Temperature Measurement
Two necessities for temperature measurement:
o Reference temperature
o Rule for measuring the difference between a certain temperature from the reference point
Temperature Scales:
Fahrenheit: Devised by Gabriel Fahrenheit
o Earliest standard scale
o Wanted to fix human body temperature at 100 degrees + he wanted whole numbers for the
freezing and boiling points
32o F freezing pt. of water
212o F boiling pt. of water
98.6o F human body temperature
Celsius: devised by Andres Celsius
o Set out to fix the boiling point of H2O @ 0o an freezing pt. @ 100(this was later reversed)
o It became popular because if the 100 division
o The unit called ‘centigrade’
o In 1947 the general committee on Weight & Measures ruled that the unit be called ‘Celsius
Kelvin: William Kelvin
o Discovered the principle of energy as it related to the heat of the matter
o This led to the idea of ‘absolute zero’, a temperature below which it is impossible to go since the
matter would have zero energy at this point.
o 1oC difference in temperature = 1 K temperature difference
273.16 K = 0.01oC & 611 Pa (Triple point of water)
o A unique combination of temperature and pressure at which the solid, liquid and vapor phases co-
exist at equilibrium
Four Basic temperature measurement methods:
1. Thermal expansion: e.g. Hg thermometer
2. Thermoelectricity: e.g. thermocouple
3. Resistance: e.g. thermistor
4. Radiation: e.g. pyrometers
Choice of a particular thermometer depends on:
o Accuracy
o Recording requirements
o Control
o Requirements

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Dynamic Response of Measuring Instruments Transducer:  A device that converts a signal from one physical form to a corresponding signal having a different physical form Physical form: mechanical, thermal, magnetic, optical, electrical  Transducers are energy modifiers or converters Sensor: receives a stimulus and responds Dynamic Characteristics: The properties of the system transient response to an input. y=f(x)  The dynamic response is typically modeled by a constant – coefficient linear differential equation k 2 a d y(t) K a d y(t) a dy(t)a y(t)  x(t) x dtk 2 d t 1 dt o  I practice, these models are limited to zero, first, and second order Zero Order Instruments: have an output that is proportional to the input at all times  Static gain of the instrument (measure of its sensitivity) L o Example would be a strain gage where R   (output is proportional to the length of the wire. A  No delays  The sensor only changes the amplitude of the signal Unit Step Function:  x(t)=0, t 0 x(t)=1, t>0 o For a zero order instrument, y(t)=Kx(t) y(t)=0, fort 0; and y=K for t>0 therefore response of a zero  order instrument to a unit step function with height k, would be K First Order Instruments: output is given by a non-homogeneous first-order differential equation d   y(t) y(t)  Kx(t) dt o  is called the time constant of the instrument o The response of a first order instrument to the unit step function  d   y(t) y(t) K x(t)=1 dt Initial condition y(0)=0 t y(t) K(1e )  When t=  y()  K(1e)  0.632K  Second Order Instrument: second order non-homogenous differential equation   2 d d 2 2 2y(t)2 y(t) y(t) K x(t) dt dt  - constant, damping factor if the instrument  - angular frequency of the instrument  Temperature Measurement  Two necessities for temperature measurement:  o Reference temperature o Rule for measuring the difference between a certain temperature from the reference point Temperature Scales: Fahrenheit: Devised by Gabriel Fahrenheit o Earliest standard scale o Wanted to fix human body temperature at 100 degrees + he wanted whole numbers for the freezing and boiling points 32 F – freezing pt. of water 212 F – boiling pt. of water 98.6 F – human body temperature Celsius: devised by Andres Celsius o Set out to fix the boiling point o2 H O @ 0 an freezing pt. @ 100(this was later reversed) o It became popular because if the 100 division o The unit called ‘centigrade’ o In 1947 the general committee on Weight & Measures ruled that the unit be called ‘Celsius’ Kelvin: William Kelvin o Discovered the principle of energy as it related to the heat of the matter o This led to the idea of ‘absolute zero’, a temperature below which it is impossible to go since the matter would have zero energy at this point. o 1 C difference in temperature = 1 K temperature difference 273.16 K = 0.01 C & 611 Pa (Triple point of water) o A unique combination of temperature and pressure at which the solid, liquid and vapor phases co- exist at equilibrium Four Basic temperature measurement methods: 1. Thermal expansion: e.g. Hg thermometer 2. Thermoelectricity: e.g. thermocouple 3. Resistance: e.g. thermistor 4. Radiation: e.g. pyrometers Choice of a particular thermometer depends on: o Accuracy o Recording requirements o Control o Requirements o Temperature range o Location (ambient temperature) Thermal Expansion: Liquid-in-glass thermometer: o Based on expansion/contraction of liquid in a glass tube o Hg  freezes @ -39 C  Range: -35 C to 500 C o Alcohol  Range: -70 to 120 C Partial immersion: immersed to an indicated level Complete/Full immersion: entire thermometer is
More Less
Unlock Document
Start your 2 week free trial

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

Share with your friends

Get 2 friends to sign-up for a free trial as well, and get an additional free week

Next

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit