Biological Sciences
Course
BIOL 1000
Professor
Kevin G.Scott
Semester
Fall

Description
lc78 o Metaphase I – tetrads are aligned at metaphase plate (not individual chromosomes) Anaphase I – pairs of homologous chromosomes separate, but sister chromatids of each chromosome stay together At end of meiosis I, 2 haploid cells exists, but each chromosome still has 2 sister chromatids Meiosis II is identical to mitosis – it separates chromatids Difference***in meiosis each daughter cell only contains a haploid set of chromosomes Independent orientation of chromosomes in meiosis and random fertilization lead to varied offspring Offspring that result from sexual reproduction are highly varied Arrangement of homologous chromosomes at metaphase of meiosis I affects the resulting gametes  Whether the paternal or maternal chromosome in a homologous pair is closer to a given pole is a 50% chance For any species, the total number of combinations of chromosomes that meiosis can package into gametes is 2 (n is the haploid number)  23 The human haploid number is 23, 2 = 8 million possible chromosome combinations In humans, the random fusion of a single sperm with a single ovum during fertilization will produce a  zygote with any of 64 trillion (8 million x 8 million) combinations of chromosomes Homologous chromosomes may carry different versions of genes Recall: homologous chromosomes have genes for the same characteristics at corresponding loci  Homologous chromosomes can bear 2 different kinds of genetic information for the s
More Less

Related notes for BIOL 1000

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit