- vascular bundles are scattered
- Ground tissue in not
separated (ie no cortex and pith region)
- epidermis is interrupted by tiny pores called Stomta(singular
Stoma). - Stoma
allow the exchange of CO2 and O2 between the surrounding air and the
photosynthetic cells inside the leaf.
-Most water loss happen through
Cells are loosely arranged around stomata, these air spaces allow for the
- Each stomata is flanked by 2 guard cells, which regulate the opening and closing.
Ground tissue system of a leaf is called the mesophyll. (located between upper and lower epidermis).
Mesophyll - consist mainly of cells specialized for photosynthesis.
- Veins within a leaf are the vascular
bundles, this area of the plants vascular system is in close contact with the photosynthetic tissues.
-Most plant cells have 3 unique structures (in addition their similarities to
- Chloroplast - the site of photosynthesis, ( light passes
through the two membranes of the chloroplast and strikes green disks where
light energy is converted to chemical
energy. Sugar molecules produced by photosynthesis can be made into
molecules or broken down for energy.)
- Central vacuole -