BIOL1010 01 13 2014
- a naturalist
- took a five year voyage
- from England
- went to medical school, but didn't like it much
- observe person
- recommended in a voyage in mid-1800s
- due to his high education recommended on ship
- on voyage for five years
- mapping coastlines
- Darwin collects plants, recorded studies -- all related to evolution
- at the time people think that all being are being and unchanging
> mostly based on Greek philosophy and Christianity
> thought that the world is only 6000 years old
> but Earth is much older than 6000 years old
- visited Galapagos Islands (volcanic islands, isolated)
> influenced Darwin greatly
- collected plants, animals and fossils, etc.
> took notes of observations
- noticed that in North America are similar to other NA animals
> South American animals similar to SA animals, etc.
- observed Galapagos Islands
> blue-footed booby, tortoise, etc.
> animals have unique characteristics that were different from the major
*Thomas MALTHUS - concerned about human population having not enough
> Darwin found that Malthus idea can apply to other living organism
*Influences on Darwin caused him to believe that the Earth is much older
*Darwin thought of "natural selection"
*Jean Baptiste LAMARCK also suggested evolution
> evolution by "acquired characteristics"
eg. Giraffes' long necks
> the more the