BIOL1010 01 15 2014
Fig. 13.6 "purple line" indicates that species after the line contains 'that' certain
*Natural selection cannot make a perfect organism.
*Better suited organisms survive.
*Evolution can occur at a fast rate (noticeable) or slow rate (slightly noticeable)
*'Continental Drift' plays a huge factor in evolution (where certain species are located).
*Environmental factors affects evolution (climate, condition of env't, etc.)
*Evolution can occur by chance.
*Many different species have died out for 'some reason'.
- allows anything that survive to span to areas where species have died out
*Asteroid believed to have wiped out the dinosaurs.
- hit the Yucatan Peninsula (part of Mexico)
- really large asteroid
- created stream
- caused water to evaporated
- changed the climate
- there are evidence that there are certain materials that are only found in space
- asteroid created dust cloud => cold climate => plants, animal died out
- all occurred at approx. the same time, therefore concluded; this happens.
- once dinosaurs died out, mammals were present on Earth
- warm blooded, has fur, fat insulation (aided survival)
Evolution of Antibiotic Resistance
*caused many bacteria to evolve
- originally antibiotics were effective to the bacteria