Premium

3 Pages

Department
Biological Sciences
Course Code
BIOL 1020
Professor
Joy Stacey

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Description
Lecture 22 Meiosis Split into meiosis 1 and meiosis 2 meiosis 1 goes from 2n double stranded to 1n double stranded meiosis 2 goes from 1n double stranded to 1n single stranded o Division in meiosis I occurs in four phases: Prophase I Metaphase I Anaphase I Telophase I and cytokinesis Cell goes through all of these phases as a continuum Prophase I Typically occupies more than 90 of the time required for meiosis Chromosomes begin to condense In synapsis, homologous chromosomes loosely pair up, aligned gene by gene. In crossing over, non sister chromatids exchange DNA segments Each pair of chromosomes forms a tetrad, a group of four chromatids o Tetrad consists of a homologous pair referred to as tetrad during prophase I Each tetrad usually has one or more chiasmata, X shaped regions where crossing over occurs. Metaphase I In metaphase I, tetrads line up at metaphase plate, with the one chromosome facing each pole Microtubules from one pole are attached to the kinetochore of one chromosome of each tetrad Microtubules from the other pole are attached to the kinetochore of the other chromosome Anaphase I Pairs of homologous chromosomes separate One chromosomes moves toward each pole, guided by the spindle apparatus Sister chromatids remain attached at the centromere and move as one unit toward the pole Telophase I cytokinesis In the beginning of telophase I, each half of the cell has a haploid set of chromosomes each chromosome still consists of two sister chromatids
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit