Fall 2016

Department
General Management
Course Code
GMGT 2070
Professor
Raymond T.Lee
Lecture

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 15 pages of the document.
GMGT2070 Notes Post Midterm
24-10-2016
Groups and Teams
Definition of Group:
- 2 or more members interacting with each other (group)
- Towards a common goal or a common set of goals
o There is a deliberate purpose for the group/team
Stages of Group Development
- Five Stage Model
o Forming Figure out mission/purpose and their goals
Individual: Where do I fit in?
Group: Why are we here?
o Storming The realization that there might be conflict between members over roles,
purpose, etc.
Idiidual: What’s  ole hee?
Group: Who is in charge and who does what?
o Norming A meeting of minds; setting ground rules, norms and expectations
Individual: What do the others expect of me?
Group: Can we agree on roles and work as a team?
o Performing The pinnacle of the team, what they formed to do.
Individual: How do I best perform?
Group: Can we do the job properly?
o Adjourning Determine that its purpose is served and they can now disband
Idiidual: What’s et?
Group: Can we help members transition out?
- Punctuated Equilibrium Model
Structural Determinants
- Size: How many in the group?
o Thee is a agi ue →  +/- 2)
- Type of Tasks
o Coordinating and implementation tasks are more effectively done by small groups
o Information gathering tasks are more effectively done by large diverse groups
o Idea generating tasks are more effectively done by large diverse groups
- Diversity in Group Membership:
Advantages:
- Multiple Perspectives
- Greater Openness to New Ideas
- Multiple Interpretations
- Increased Flexibility
- Increased Creativity
- Increased Problem Solving Skills
Disadvantages:
- Ambiguity
- Complexity
- Confusion
- Miscommunication
- Difficulty in reaching single agreement
- Difficulty in agreeing on specific action
find more resources at oneclass.com
Group Cohesiveness Glue that binds members and motivates them to work together
- Determinants of Cohesiveness:
o Tie “pet Togethe → Moe tie, oe ohesie
o “eeit of Iitiatio → Moe diffiult to joi, the lose the feel he the get i
o Group size → “alle goup, oe ohesie
o External Threats → Help to uild ohesieess gies sese of pupose)
o Previous Successes → “ees as feedak ad failitates ohesieess
- Caveat → Ipat o Pefoae
o Cohesiveness is good, provided that what you have has a high performance expectation
o High Cohesiveness is negative when there are low performance expectations
Teams
- Difference Between Team and Group
o High Cohesiveness = High performance Expectations = High Productivity
- Characteristics of an Effective Team
o Clear purpose
o Informality
o Participation
o Listening
o Civilized Disagreement
o Consensus Decisions
o Open Communication
o Clear rules and work
assignments
o Shared Leadership
o External Relations
o Style Diversity
o Self-Assessment
- Roles That Build and Maintain a Team (Soft Skill Roles)
o Harmonizing
o Compromising
o Gatekeeping
o Encouraging
- Roles That Build Task Accomplishment
o Initiating
o Seeking Information and Opinions
o Providing Information and Opinions
o Clarifying
o Elaborating
o Summarizing
o Consensus Testing
- Four Types of Teams: Txt presents as mutually exclusive but teams can be more than one
o Problem-Solving
o Self-Managed
o Cross-Functional
o Virtual
- How a Typical Quality Circle Operates
o Problem Idetifiatio → Pole “eletio → Pole Reie → “olutios
o Deisio ← “olutios Reieed ← Reoeded
In UMLearn: Rescue of 33 Chilean Miners Case
- Illustration of Group Development
- Illustration of role specifications to facilitate team effectiveness
Fo Wedesday → Chapte : Couiatios ad Topis: Chiese Busiess Etiuette
26-10-2016
Fo Moday → 2 Mii Cases fo goup Assiget
Communications The ties that id
- Communications Process
o Terms
Encoding: Converting message to symbolic form, by the sender
Channel: The medium through which the message travels (method)
Deodig: Retaslatig a sede’s essage
Noise: Any source of interference that makes it more challenging for the
receiver to comprehend the message
o Various Channels of Communication and Channel Richness
Types of Channels:
Face to Face
Telephone
Computer
Memos, Letters
Flyers, Bulletins, and General Reports
Richness of channels: Amount of information you can get through the method
Most rich: Face to face
Least rich: flyers, general reports, etc.
Use more rich channels when your information is non-routine or ambiguos
o Verbal and non-verbal communication
- Formal & Informal Channels of Communication
o 3 Common Networks of Communication
o Advantages/Disadvantages of each of the 3 networks
All-Channel: An unrestricted network, no restriction on who can send and
receive information
Fast Speed
Moderate Accuracy due to traffic (overflow of information), bigger team
means more noise
No leader, everyone ahs equal share of information
High member satisfaction
Wheel: Opposite of All-Channel, highly restricted, one person decides where
information will be received and sent (control info flow)
Fast Speed
High Accuracy
High Eegee of a Leade ude o hu

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
GMGT2070 Notes Post Midterm 24-10-2016 Groups and Teams Definition of Group: - 2 or more members interacting with each other (group) - Towards a common goal or a common set of goals o There is a deliberate purpose for the group/team Stages of Group Development - Five Stage Model o Forming Figure out mission/purpose and their goals Individual: Where do I fit in? Group: Why are we here? o Storming The realization that there might be conflict between members over roles, purpose, etc. Individual: Whats my role here? Group: Who is in charge and who does what? o Norming A meeting of minds; setting ground rules, norms and expectations Individual: What do the others expect of me? Group: Can we agree on roles and work as a team? o Performing The pinnacle of the team, what they formed to do. Individual: How do I best perform? Group: Can we do the job properly? o Adjourning Determine that its purpose is served and they can now disband Individual: Whats next? Group: Can we help members transition out? - Punctuated Equilibrium Model Structural Determinants - Size: How many in the group? o There is a magic number 7 (+/- 2) - Type of Tasks o Coordinating and implementation tasks are more effectively done by small groups o Information gathering tasks are more effectively done by large diverse groups o Idea generating tasks are more effectively done by large diverse groups - Diversity in Group Membership: Advantages: Disadvantages: - Multiple Perspectives - Ambiguity - Greater Openness to New Ideas - Complexity - Multiple Interpretations - Confusion - Increased Flexibility - Miscommunication - Increased Creativity - Difficulty in reaching single agreement - Increased Problem Solving Skills - Difficulty in agreeing on specific action Group Cohesiveness Glue that binds members and motivates them to work together - Determinants of Cohesiveness: o Time Spent Together More time, more cohesive o Severity of Initiation More difficult to join, the closer they feel when the get in o Group size Smaller group, more cohesive o External Threats Help to build cohesiveness (gives sense of purpose) o Previous Successes Serves as feedback and facilitates cohesiveness - Caveat Impact on Performance o Cohesiveness is good, provided that what you have has a high performance expectation o High Cohesiveness is negative when there are low performance expectations Teams - Difference Between Team and Group o High Cohesiveness = High performance Expectations = High Productivity - Characteristics of an Effective Team o Clear purpose o Clear rules and work o Informality assignments o Participation o Shared Leadership o Listening o External Relations o Civilized Disagreement o Style Diversity o Consensus Decisions o Self-Assessment o Open Communication - Roles That Build and Maintain a Team (Soft Skill Roles) o Harmonizing o Gatekeeping o Compromising o Encouraging - Roles That Build Task Accomplishment o Initiating o Seeking Information and Opinions o Providing Information and Opinions o Clarifying o Elaborating o Summarizing o Consensus Testing - Four Types of Teams: Txt presents as mutually exclusive but teams can be more than one o Problem-Solving o Self-Managed o Cross-Functional o Virtual - How a Typical Quality Circle Operates o Problem Identification Problem Selection Problem Review Solutions o Decision Solutions Reviewed Recommended In UMLearn: Rescue of 33 Chilean Miners Case - Illustration of Group Development - Illustration of role specifications to facilitate team effectiveness For Wednesday Chapter 7: Communications and Topics: Chinese Business Etiquette 26-10-2016 For Monday 2 Mini Cases for group Assignment Communications The ties that bind - Communications Process o Terms Message: What is communicated Encoding: Converting message to symbolic form, by the sender Channel: The medium through which the message travels (method) Decoding: Retranslating a senders message Noise: Any source of interference that makes it more challenging for the receiver to comprehend the message o Various Channels of Communication and Channel Richness Types of Channels: Face to Face Telephone Computer Memos, Letters Flyers, Bulletins, and General Reports Richness of channels: Amount of information you can get through the method Most rich: Face to face Least rich: flyers, general reports, etc. Use more rich channels when your information is non-routine or ambiguos o Verbal and non-verbal communication - Formal & Informal Channels of Communication o 3 Common Networks of Communication o Advantages/Disadvantages of each of the 3 networks All-Channel: An unrestricted network, no restriction on who can send and receive information Fast Speed Moderate Accuracy due to traffic (overflow of information), bigger team means more noise No leader, everyone ahs equal share of information High member satisfaction Wheel: Opposite of All-Channel, highly restricted, one person decides where information will be received and sent (control info flow) Fast Speed High Accuracy High Emergence of a Leader (burden on hub)
More Less
Unlock Document
Start your 2 week free trial

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

Share with your friends

Get 2 friends to sign-up for a free trial as well, and get an additional free week

Next

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit