Premium

4 Pages

Department
Microbiology
Course Code
MBIO 2360
Professor
Mc Kenna Sean

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Lecture 3 – MBIO/CHEM 2360 Strong Acids and Bases  A strong acid (complete dissociation in water, no equilibrium) results in: o HCl --> H+ + Cl- o 0.1M --> 0.1M pH =1 o 0.01M --> 0.01M pH =2 o 0.001M --> 0.001M pH =3  A strong base (complete dissociation in water, no equilibrium) results in: o NaOH --> Na+ + OH- o 0.1M --> 0.1 M  [H+] = 10-14/10-1 pH=13 o 0.01M --> 0.01M  [H+] = 10-14/10-2 pH = 12 Weak Acids and Bases  Most biological acids and bases are weak o i.e. they undergo incomplete dissociation, they are in equilibrium o Draw compounds  A weak acid is a proton donor o Conjugate base is a protein acceptor  Draw compounds  A weak base is an proton acceptor o Conjugate acid is a proton donor  Biochemists choose to express all weak acids and bases as "weak acids" so: o Draw formula o Just flip the equilibrium positions  In general, draw formula and box o HA is the weak acid/conjugate acid o A- is the conjugate base  This is the acid dissociation constant and commonly expressed as: o pKa = -log10[Ka]  The weakest acids have the largest pKas  The strongest acid has the smallest pKas  If pKa is small - it'll give up its H  If pKa is big - it'll keep its H  E.g. the pKa of acetic acid is 4.76, the pKa of ammonia is 9.25  p means the -log of that number  pKa is the negative log of Ka  If pKa < 7.0, ionization is > H2O and therefore an ACID o If you are an acid and droped in water - you will dissolve and get rid of your H  If pKa > 7.0, ionization is < H2O and therefore a base Titration Curves  Analysis of titration curves provides a better insight into the properties of weak acids and bases: o Example one: a strong acid mixed with a strong base  Start with 20mL 0.1M HCl and titrate with 0.1M NaOH  Draw curve  At the start, the pH is 1, as you add more NaOH the pH goes up  Flattens out because there is no more HCl left, all NaOH  At the start there are 2 mmol of HCl (2x10-3 mol) (moles= MXL)  When 20 mL of NaOH is added, 2 mmol of NaOH is present: a. NaOH reacts with HCl b. And no acid or base is present, therefore pH is 7.0 c. One mol of acid = mol of base you have neutrality  When only 10mL of NaOH (1 mmol) is added: a. Therefore, [H+] = 1mmol/30mL = 0.033M or pH = 1.48 o Example 2 - weak acid mixed with NaOH (strong base)  At the start: 20mL 0.1M (2 mmol) CH3CCOOH and 0.1M NaOH is added  Draw curve  pH raises  Plateaus at the buffer zone  pH raises again  Plateau at the end again  At A: 20mL 0.1 M CH3COOH (2mmol) and 10 mL 0.1M NaOH (1mmol) reacts as follows:  Enter formula  At the inflection point A, there are equal amounts of the weak acid and conjugate base  This is a buffer - a mixture of a weak acid and its conjugate base a. Will be present about half way of total titrated  At B: 20mL 0.1 M CH3COOH (2mmol) and 20mL 0.1 M NaOH (2mmol)  Formula  Therefore, pH > 7.0 because only conjugate base is present  The flat zone around 10mL NaOH is the buffer zone and is most effective 0.5-1 pH units on either side of A  We will revisit the pH at A  The added OH- reacted with H+ to yield H2O a. The law of mass action then causes the HA to ionize to release more protons until the added OH- is neutralized b. Essentially Le Chatelius principle  Formula  So [HA] has decreased, [A-] increased as H+ are released from HA to neutralize incoming OH- ions. The pH eventually increases as HA becomes less abundant  The added OH- will neutralize an equal number of moles of HA  Point A a. When 10 mL of NaOH was added, the [OH-] added = 1/2 [HA] b. The acid is half neutralized and so half dissociated [HA] = [A-]  i.e. [weak acid] = [con
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit