Lecture 15

Lecture 15.docx

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Manitoba
Management Info. Systems
MIS 4500
Pourang Irani

Lecture 15: Taxes and Private Wealth Management in a Global Context: Global tax structures:  taxes on income: progressive or flat  wealth-based taxes (property and on wealth transfers)  consumption taxes (sales taxes; value added taxes)  Future value interest factor (if taxed annually): FVIF = [1 + r(1 – t)] n i i Tax drag may exceed the tax rate: compounds over time. Tax drag increases as the investment return increases. For deferred taxation: FVIF = (1+r) – [(1+r) – 1]t = (1+r) (1-t ) + t n cg cg cg cg If cost basis differs: FVIF cgb= (1+r) (1-t )cg t –cg1 – B)t = (1cg) (1 – t ) + t BcgB is cge percentage basis to market value Annual wealth-based taxes: FVIF = [(1+r)(1 – t )] n w w Annual return after realized taxes: r = r(1 – pt – p i i p d d; thcg cg are the percentages of return and don’t need to add to 1 b/c unrealized capital gains are not included in the equation; does not capture tax effects of deferred CGs. * Effective CGs tax rate: T = t (1 –cg – p –ip )/d(1 –cgt – p t – i i ) d d cg cg F* nre afte*-tax a*cumulation for each unit of currency in a taxable portfolio: FVIF taxable (1 + r ) (1 – T ) + T - (1 – B) t cg n Accrual equivalent return: the IRR of the after-tax return: starting amount (1 + R ) = after-AEx return Accrual equivalent tax rate: the hypothetical tax rate that produces an after-tax return equivalent to the accrual equivalent return: r(1 – T ) =AE AE Future af
More Less

Related notes for MIS 4500

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.