Management Info. Systems
Course
MIS 4500
Professor
Pourang Irani
Semester
Winter

Description
Chapter 37: Swaps Commodity swaps: fixed price of swap is weighted average of corresponding forward prices. n  P 0,tiF 0it F  i1 n  P 0,t i i1 n  Q t 0,t Fi 0,t i1 i i With varying quantities: F  n Q P 0,t  i1 i i For summer and winter varying: F s P 0,t Q  F w P 0,t Q  P 0,t Q F  P 0,t Q F isummer i i iwint er i ti isummer i ti 0,tiiwint er i ti 0,ti Because fixed swap payment equal, while the futures prices vary, the mismatch creates a borrowing/lending component. rT F 0,T S 0 Synthetic commodity: long forward plus zero coupon bond w/ face value equal to forward price Link b/w expected commodity price and forward price: F  E S e rT 0,T 0 T Nonstorability: Electricity:  different prices in summer and winter and in night and day Commodity Lease Rate: 1   l r  T ln F0,T S   Cash and carry arbitrage: borrow cash, buy commodity, lend commodity and short forward  Reverse cash and carry arbitrage: short commodity, lend cash, long forward  Contango occurs when lease rate is less than risk-free rate;  Backwardation occurs when lease rate is greater than risk-free rate  Carry: storage  Forward price with storage costs (like negative dividend; applies only when storage rT occurs): F 0,T  S0e rcT  Forward price factoring in convenience yield: F0,T  S 0 o Those who earn convenience yield likely already hold optimal amount of commodity; there may be no way for you to earn convenience yield when per
More Less

Related notes for MIS 4500

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit