PSYC 1200 Lecture Notes - Existential Therapy, Agreeableness, Anger Management

25 views2 pages

Document Summary

Approaches mental illness as a result of people not thinking right. Their thought processes lead them to develop opinions, which cause them to engage in appropriate behaviours that are poor in their level of functioning. An aggressive approach to therapy, aimed at convincing people that the way they think is unrealistic. Client: i"m not successful unless i"m rich. therapist: i"m successful and i"m not rich. Client: i"m a failure if this relationship doesn"t work out. therapist: you must be scared to meet new people! A less aggressive approach to therapy, aimed at encouraging people to think logically without telling them how unrealistic they are. Client: i"m not successful unless i"m rich. therapist: maybe, but can money alone grant happiness? . Have you failed at forming relationships in the past? . Blaming setbacks on personal inadequacies, focusing only on negative events, thinking negatively about the future, and drawing negative conclusions about personal worth all contribute to increased vulnerability to depression.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers