Psychology
Course
PSYC 2250
Professor
Steven Hladkyj
Semester
Summer

Description
Oc78 Scholastic Competence schoolwork Athletic Competence physical ability Social Competence relationships Physical appearance Parents Inductive methods of discipline Why this is a bad behavior, implicit message to children is I think you are competent enough to understand so Im going to explain it to you, which boost childrens self esteem Setting limits Parents who dont set limits, most children in adolescents thinks that parents didnt even care enough if I came home late, not care enough which is sending a message that will lower self esteem Set rules do what I say, children thinks not smart enough to understand not competent enough. Worthy of being cared for, successes are celebrated, etc. Praises that children for being smart, so they will often focus on how they look to other people and choose easier task to ensure success, difficult task means risking failure and failure wont look them very smart. Tend to choose things that are safe. Tend not to achieve much. Parents who praise children for improving, not as afraid on failure, then esteem on is not on the end product its on the change. Theyll choose to persevere difficult things to improve. Gain from improvement, taking slightly risky and achieving more Peers Friends youre fun, I wanna hang out with, important Impact of Self Esteem Relationships o Positive feedback, more time with friends more social skills
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 2250

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit