Premium

2 Pages

Department
Agriculture
Course Code
AGRC 112
Professor
Takaya Kunio

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Section 1: Role of food animal production in society ( part ii)
Lecture 5
Do animals compete with humans for food / feed
Mixed / subsistence farming
-Chickens - table and kitchen wastes, cull vegetables. They provide eggs and meats if high
protein
-Swine - Similar plus higher finer forages / roots .
-Ruminants - There is no competition for food between humans because humans do not eat
any of the same food
Columbia
-Cassava - tuber capable of growth in poor soils / drought tolerant, generally consumed by the
very poor. They are using the cassava to sell it to companies for livestock feed, it is a very
common starch source.
Agriculture plays a key role in developing economies
-Local markets for produce and animal products are key in advancing rural wealth and living
standards
Modern / larger scale farming
-Plant products used for seminal production
-Grains and pulses ( pigs, poultry, cattle )
-Seeded perennial pastures ( cattle, sheep, goats )
-Native pastures ( range cattle, sheep )
Feed vs food
-Many grains are grown for human consumption but the end results is not up to the standards
for human consumption. Quality is too low
-In SK 25% of crops are not suitable for human consumption
-Some grains are specifically grown for animal food - corn is grown for livestocks
-We aren't even using 10% of the crops that we are growing. We have a small livestock sector
and a huge amount of crops going to the food. A lot of the food goes to Alberta to the feedlots
for food.
Livestock generate high value human bible product
-Livestock adds value to crops ( feeds) not suitable for human consumption
-Forages, feed grains, frozen grains, screenings, processing by products
-High quality human edible protein return as a % of protein input edible also by humans
-Ruminants are good at eating low quality protein into high quality protein
Efficiency: Ration of output to input
-Feed gain ration - how much body weight grain per kilogram of food consumed
-1/3 of al your calories go into maintenance like body temperature etc
Major reasons for differences among livestock in efficiency
1- Nutrient density of diet
2- Partitioning if energy use between dam and progeny in animal production systems
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Section 1: Role of food animal production in society ( part ii) Lecture 5 Do animals compete with humans for food / feed Mixed / subsistence farming - Chickens - table and kitchen wastes, cull vegetables. They provide eggs and meats if high protein - Swine - Similar plus higher finer forages / roots . - Ruminants - There is no competition for food between humans because humans do not eat any of the same food Columbia -Cassava - tuber capable of growth in poor soils / drought tolerant, generally consumed by the very poor. They are using the cassava to sell it to companies for livestock feed, it is a very common starch source. Agriculture plays a key role in developing economies - Local markets for produce and animal products are key in advancing rural wealth and living standards Modern / larger scale farming - Plant products used for seminal production - Grains and pulses ( pigs, poultry, cattle ) - Seeded perennial pastures ( cattle, sheep, goats ) - Native pastures ( range cattle, sheep ) Feed vs food - Many grains are grown for human consumption but the end results is not up to the standards for human consumption. Quality is too low - In SK 25% of crops are not suitable for human consumption - Some grains are specifically grown for animal food - corn is grown for livestocks - We aren't even using 10% of the crops that we are growing. We have a small livestock sector and a huge amount of crops going to the food. A lot of the food goes to Alberta to the feedlots for food. Livestock generate high value human bible product - Livestock adds value to crops ( feeds) not suitable for human consumption - Forages, feed grains, frozen grains, screenings, processing by products - High quality human edible protein return as a % of protein input edible also by hu
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit