Premium

2 Pages

Department
Agriculture
Course Code
AGRC 112
Professor
Takaya Kunio

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Oilseeds
Fats and Oils
-Fats are solids at room temperature and oil are liquids
-They are edible or inedible
-Some plants are edible but humans can not eat them due to digestibility
-Vegetable and animal sources
-Our focus —> edible vegetable oils
-The principal animal fats are:
-Tallow, lard, butterfat - concerns with respect to saturated fatty acids
-Marine oils - consumption recommended due to content of long chain, polyunsaturated
( omega-3) fatty acids
The chemistry of fats and oils
-Edible fats and oils are mixtures of triacylglyerols (triglycerides, TGs)
-Triglycerides consist of glycerol linked ( esterifies) to three fatty acids (FA) molecules
-Triglycerides may be simple or mixed
Fatty acids
-Hundreds exist in nature - a dozen or so are important in vegetable oils, 5 or 6 predominate in
most edible oils
-Consists of unbranched linear chain, 2 to 23 carbons in length with an acid ( carboxyl) group
at one end
-Chains may be saturated or unsaturated, contain none, one or several C=C double bonds
-In most polyunsaturated fatty acids, double bonds are separated by CH2 groups ( non-
conjugated)
-The conjugated ones will go rancid faster
-The non conjugated has better oxidation
Melting points of fatty acids
-Melting point increases as the carbon chain length increases
-Melting point decreases as the number of double bonds ( degree of unsaturated ) increases
-Effect of unsaturation on melting point is much greater then that of chain length
-Linolenic acid will go rancid faster because it is not stable so it will oxidize and attract oxygen
faster
Fats and oils
-Liquid oils contain predominantly unsaturated fatty acids
-Solid fats contain predominantly saturated fatty acids or a mixture of saturated and
unsaturated fatty acids
-Lipids with a larger proportion of unsaturated fatty acids are more susceptible to thermal and
oxidative breakdown
Fatty acids
-C=c bonds are in cis configuration unless fat or oil has been hydrogenated
-Hydrogenation is a conventional process used to convert liquid vegetable oils into solid or sell
solid fats such as those present in shortenings and hard margarines
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Oilseeds Fats and Oils - Fats are solids at room temperature and oil are liquids - They are edible or inedible - Some plants are edible but humans can not eat them due to digestibility - Vegetable and animal sources - Our focus —> edible vegetable oils - The principal animal fats are: - Tallow, lard, butterfat - concerns with respect to saturated fatty acids - Marine oils - consumption recommended due to content of long chain, polyunsaturated ( omega-3) fatty acids The chemistry of fats and oils - Edible fats and oils are mixtures of triacylglyerols (triglycerides, TGs) - Triglycerides consist of glycerol linked ( esterifies) to three fatty acids (FA) molecules - Triglycerides may be simple or mixed Fatty acids - Hundreds exist in nature - a dozen or so are important in vegetable oils, 5 or 6 predominate in most edible oils - Consists of unbranched linear chain, 2 to 23 carbons in length with an acid ( carboxyl) group at one end - Chains may be saturated or unsaturated, contain none, one or several C=C double bonds - In most polyunsaturated fatty acids, double bonds are separated by CH2 groups ( non- conjugated) - The conjugated ones will go rancid faster - The non conjugated has better oxidation Melting points of fatty acids - Melting point increases as the carbon chain length increases - Melting point decreases as the number of double bonds ( degree of unsaturated ) increases - Effect of unsaturation on melting point is much greater then that of chain length - Linolenic acid will go rancid faster because it is not stable so it will oxidize and attract oxygen faster Fats and oils - Liquid oils contain predominantly unsaturated fatty acids - Solid fats contain predominantly saturated fatty acids or a mixture of saturated and unsaturated fatty acids - Lipids with a larger proportion of unsaturated fatty acids are more susceptible to thermal and oxidative breakdown Fatty acids - C=c bonds are in cis co
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit