Premium

3 Pages

Department
Agriculture
Course Code
AGRC 112
Professor
Takaya Kunio

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
AG 112: Meat colour and meat processing - What is meat? - Meats are those animal tissues that are suitable for use as food - They can be broadly classified as “red / dark meat’ and ‘white meat’ - Why do we eat meat? - Provided many nutrients for relatively few calories - Animo acid make up proteins and for human healthy you require 9 amino acids which meat contain, so if you eat meat you will get all the essential amino acid that you need in your health - Eating meat is a personal choice - Well- planned vegetarian diet can provide the nutrients that humans need Meat quality - Producers / farmers - Yield and gross composition: Quantity of saleable products and muscle size and shape - Processors - Appearances and technological characteristics: Fat texture and colour intramuscular fat, colour and water holding capacity of lean - Consumers - Palatability: Tenderness, juiciness and flavour - Wholesomeness:nutritional quality, chemical and microbiological safety - Ethnical quality:Animal welfare Overall meat quality is influenced by practices at each point along the meat quality chain will contribute to the final product quality Appearance of meat: colour - Colour is the major determinant of meat appearance - It sores oxygen for aerobic metabolism in the muscle - Myoglobin is the water soluble protein responsible for meat colour Myoglobin and meat colour - It consists of a protein portion and a non protein porphyrin ring with a central iron atom ( a prosthetic heme group ) - The protein part forms a pocket structure that holds the hemoglobin - The iron ion interacts with six ligands, four of which are provided by the nitrogen atoms of the four pyrrole of the porphyrin ring - The fifth ligand is occupied by global - The sixth ligand position serves as the binding site for various ligands - Reduced myoglobin ( deoxymyglobin ) - Colour is purplish red - Interior of meat - Iron in reduced ferrous form - This is the predominate pigment in vacuum packaged meat cuts - Vacuum packaging - when there is no oxygen left in the package. Allows shipment of fresh, never frozen pork and beef to distant markets - Oxymyglobin - Colour is bright cherry red - Oxygenation of deoxymyglobin = bloom - In reduced ferrous form - In retail packaging - use oxygen permeable film to develop bloom or high oxygen environment - Metmyoglobin - Colour is brownish to brownish red - Oxidation of iron to ferric form - When low amount of oxygen present - To reduce the conversion of DMB to MMB apply - Low temperature - High pH - Antioxidant - Maintenance of means reducing activity Interconversion among pigment forms - All three pigment forms can be present at the same time, the dominant one provided the colour - MMb is present in vivo to about 2-3% but meat deterioration is no
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit