Biology (234)
BIOL 120 (81)

Sample Questions1.pdf

7 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Saskatchewan
BIOL 120
Neil Hibbert

Here are most if not all of the sample questions that I used in class, as well as some questions from previous first year midterm and final exams that I have given on these topics. I am not going to give you the answers. The main reason for this is it can give you an unfounded level of confidence. If you see the answer, your immediate response will be “oh ya, of course”. Believe me, from my experience both as a student and a teacher, having to look up answers on your own will help your studying and self-testing immensely. 1. Why is it unlikely that two neighbouring water molecules would be arranged like this? H H O O H H 2. The hydrogen bond between two water molecules arises because water is: a) polar b) nonpolar c) a liquid d) small e) hydrophobic 3. Which of the following statements about water is NOT true? a) It releases a large amount of energy when changing from a liquid to a gas. b) Its solid form is less dense than its liquid form. c) It is the most effective solvent of polar molecules. d) It is typically the most abundant substance in an active organism. e) It takes part in some important chemical reactions. 4. All nucleic acids: a) are polymers of amino acids b) are double stranded c) are polymers of nucleotides d) are double helical e) contain deoxyribose 5. All proteins: a) are enzymes b) consist of one or more polypeptides c) are amino acids d) have quaternary structure e) are more soluble in nonpolar solvents than in water 6. Where in the tertiarystructure of a water-soluble protein would you most likely find a hydrophobic amino acid R-group? a) at both ends of the polypeptide chain b) on the outside, next to water c) covalently bonded to another R-group d) on the inside away from water e) hydrogen-bonded to nearby amino acids 7. The ultrastructure of a chloroplast could be best studied using a: a) light microscope b) telescope c) sem d) tem e) light microscope and fluorescent dye 8. Which organelle is not surrounded by one or more membranes? a) Chloroplast b) Mitochondrion c) Peroxisome d) Vacuole e) They are all surrounded by one or more membranes. 9. a)Which would you predict is more polar? b) Which would diffuse more quickly across a plasma membrane? 10. Whichone of the following lists contains only polysaccharides? A) sucrose, starch, and cellulose B) starch, amino acids, and glycogen C) cellulose, starch, and glycogen D) nucleotides, glycogen, and cellulose E) fructose, cellulose, and glucose 11. In salad dressings, oil quickly separates from vinegar because oils are A) heavier than water. B) polar. C) nonpolar. D) hydrophilic. E) amphiphilic. 12. Proteins differ from one another because A) the peptide bonds linking amino acids differ from protein to protein. B) the sequence of amino acids in the polypeptide chain differs from protein to protein. C) each protein contains its own unique sequence of sugar molecules. D) the number of nucleotides found
More Less

Related notes for BIOL 120

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.