Here are most if not all of the sample questions that I used in class, as well as some
questions from previous first year midterm and final exams that I have given on these
topics. I am not going to give you the answers. The main reason for this is it can give
you an unfounded level of confidence. If you see the answer, your immediate response
will be “oh ya, of course”. Believe me, from my experience both as a student and a
teacher, having to look up answers on your own will help your studying and self-testing
1. Why is it unlikely that two neighbouring water molecules would be arranged like this?
2. The hydrogen bond between two water molecules arises because water is:
c) a liquid
3. Which of the following statements about water is
a) It releases a large amount of energy when changing from a liquid to a gas.
b) Its solid form is less dense than its liquid form.
c) It is the most effective solvent of polar molecules.
d) It is typically the most abundant substance in an active organism.
e) It takes part in some important chemical reactions.
4. All nucleic acids:
a) are polymers of amino acids
b) are double stranded
c) are polymers of nucleotides
d) are double helical
e) contain deoxyribose 5. All proteins:
a) are enzymes
b) consist of one or more polypeptides
c) are amino acids
d) have quaternary structure
e) are more soluble in nonpolar solvents
than in water
6. Where in the tertiarystructure of a water-soluble protein would you most likely find a
hydrophobic amino acid R-group?
a) at both ends of the polypeptide chain
b) on the outside, next to water
c) covalently bonded to another R-group
d) on the inside away from water
e) hydrogen-bonded to nearby amino acids
7. The ultrastructure of a chloroplast could be best studied using a:
a) light microscope
e) light microscope and fluorescent dye
8. Which organelle is not surrounded by one or more membranes?
e) They are all surrounded by one or more membranes.
9. a)Which would you predict is more polar?
b) Which would diffuse more quickly across a plasma membrane?
10. Whichone of the following lists contains only polysaccharides?
A) sucrose, starch, and cellulose
B) starch, amino acids, and glycogen
C) cellulose, starch, and glycogen
D) nucleotides, glycogen, and cellulose
E) fructose, cellulose, and glucose 11. In salad dressings, oil quickly separates from vinegar because oils are
A) heavier than water.
12. Proteins differ from one another because
A) the peptide bonds linking amino acids differ from protein to protein.
B) the sequence of amino acids in the polypeptide chain differs from protein to protein.
C) each protein contains its own unique sequence of sugar molecules.
D) the number of nucleotides found