English
Course
ENG 204
Professor
Alison Muri
Semester
Winter

Description
Eng 204 1 Jan 27 2012 Ample: of a writing or speech: Treating of matters at full length; copious. Muse: the embodiment of creativity and inspiration Suffrage: all man’s opinions, everyone on the same page Were not the paths I meant vnto thy praise: For seeliest ignorance on these may light, Seeliest: simplest To the memory of my beloued, The AVTHOR MR. WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE : AND what he hath left vs. You do not really understand Shakespeare O draw no enuy (Shakespeare) on thy name, you just pretend you do. Am I thus ample to thy Booke, and Fame While I confesse thy writings to be such, As neither Man, nor Muse, can praise too ‘Tis true, and all men’s The pretending my suffrage. But these wayes actually hurt his work Were not the paths I meant vnto thy praise : The matron becomes For seeliest Ignorance on these may light, Which, when it sounds at best, but eccho’s right ; associated with the craft, Or blinde Affection, which doth ne’re aduance he is saying he does not The truth, but gropes, and vrgeth all by chance ; associate with such a craft Or crafty Malice, might pretend this praise, And thinke to ruine, where it seem’d to raise. He is alive as long as his These are, as some infamous Baud, or Whore, books are around, a Should praise a Matron. What could hurt her more ? continued presence But thou art proofe against them, and indeed Aboue th’ ill fortune of them, or the need. So, Shakespeares soul I, therefore will begin. Soule of the Age ! lives on within the book, A The applause ! delight ! the wonder of our Stage ! My Shakespeare, rise; I will not lodge thee by monument without a tomb, he is alive as long as Chaucer, or Spenser, or bid Beaumont lye we praise him A little further, to make thee a roome : Thou art a Moniment, without a tombe, And art aliue still, while thy Booke doth liue, Even though Shakespeare is not the most educated And we haue wits to read, and praise to giue. (learned) man, he is still That I not mixe thee so, my braine excuses ; I meane with great, but disproportion’d Muses: bringing words to the For, if I thought my iudgement were of yeeres, population I should commit thee surely with thy peeres, And tell, how farre thou didstst [sic] our Lily out-shine, Or sporting Kid, or Marlowes might line. Eng 204 2 Jan 27 2012 And though thou hadst small Latine, and lesse Greeke, From thence to honour thee, I would not seeke For names; but call forth thund’ring AEschilus, Euripides, and Sophocles to vs, Paccuuius, Accius, him of Cordoua dead, To life againe, to heare thy Buskin tread, And shake a Stage : Or, when thy Sockes were on, He is as important as Leaue thee alone, for the comparison Of all, that insolent Greece or haughtie Rome other providers of Sent forth, or since did from their ashes come. knowledge; he is like the Triúmph, my Britaine, thou hast one to showe, great Greek Gods To whom all Scenes of Europe homage owe.
More Less

Related notes for ENG 204

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit