2 Pages
Fall 2011

Department
English
Course Code
ENG 204
Professor
Alison Muri

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
English 204
October 3rd 2011
Beowulf: From Oral Narrative to Written Poetry
6th Century AD the story’s setting
8th Century AD the epic was composed
End of 10th or early 11thCentury AD the epic was written down by two scribes on the
manuscript that survives today
Scop: story teller. An Old English bard or poet.
In 1731 the manuscript survived a fire in the British Library Colton MS Vitellius A. XV. F. 132
- Colton was one of the first collectors of Old English Books
- He ran into the fire and through the book out the window
Vitellius: Roman Empire on Colton’s shelf
A. X.V = 1th book on his shelf
Southwick Codex: the first of the two main Old English codices contained in Colton Vitelliis, it
includes:
- Solioquies of St. Augustine
- Gospel of Nicodemus fragment
- Debate of Solomn and Saturn
- St. Quintin Homily fragment
The Nowell Codex: the second of the two main codices in Colton Vitellius, it includes:
- Life of St. Christopher
- Wonders of the East
- Alexander’s letter to Aristotle
- Beowulf
- Judith
Why are they organized this way?
Because of the way manual scripts were produced in manual script culture
If you liked a particular work you would get your scribe to copy it
You have fragments based on what you could copy at a time
Transition

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
English 204 1 October 3rd 2011 Beowulf: From Oral Narrative to Written Poetry th 6 Century AD – the story’s setting th 8 Century AD – the epic was composed End of 10 or early 11 Century AD – the epic was written down by two scribes on the manuscript that survives today Scop: story teller. An Old English bard or poet. In 1731 the manuscript survived a fire in the British Library Colton MS Vitellius A. XV. F. 132 - Colton was one of the first collectors of Old English Books - He ran into the fire and through the book out the window Vitellius: Roman Empire on Colton’s shelf A. X.V = 1th book on his shelf Southwick Codex: the first of the two main Old English codices contained in Colton Vitelliis, it includes: - Solioquies of St. Augustine - Gospel of Nicodemus fragment - Debate of Solomn and Saturn - St. Quintin Homily fragment The Nowell Codex: the second of the two main codices in Colton Vitellius, it includes: - Life of St. Christopher - Wonders of the East - Alexander’s letter to Aristotle - Beowulf - Judith Why are they organized this way?  Because of the way manual scripts were produced in manual script culture  If you liked a pa
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit