- Communist paranoia exists
- Purges, self-censorship in labour, leftists, eg. CCF, gays
Spies, and subversives everywhere, “loyalty?”
- Politicization of the personal (books, films, public spaces)
- By 1955, thousands are serving in Korea.
Politicizing the Sexual
- Ottawa harassed suspected radicals, homosexuals, organizations.
- Gays were considered security risks.
- Female homosexuals were not considered a security risk as much as men
CIA Drug and Brainwashing Experiments
- Canada is becoming increasingly under control of the United States
- This activity during the 50s is part of rising consciousness that perhaps these authorities
can’t be trusted.
o As the decade progresses, women start to lose their trust.
o Given to women
o Leads to birth defects
Politics: Ellen Fairclough
- Gladys Strum was the only female MP from 1945-49
- Fairclough was Conservative (1950-53)
- In 1957, she was the minister of the following departments:
o 1957 – Minister of State
o 1958 – Citizenship and Immigration
o 1962-63 – Postmaster General
Gendered Spaces: Cities and Suburbs
- Homes in the suburbs were popular (1954 CMHC)
- Suburban life isolated/negative for some
- In urban